+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Best speaker cables for Krell at silly but not monstrous prices used to be VDH The Wind laid side by side (I checked, although lightly twisting for neatness needn't hurt).
    Got some of that... Ya, man

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I know some ARC preamps are supposed to be a good symbiotic match, but to me it's still using one colouration to enhance ot counterbalance another. The 50S isn't really in need of this kind of processing in my opinion, but maybe one of the 'simpler' ARC preamps would work really well.
    I don't think it is a question of "but to me", I think it is an absolute fact.

My earlier comments do refer to KSA50 and not the amp Macca has. I'm not really qualified to comment on Macca's S variant.

I heard and FPB300 with Krell DAC and pre from the same era through Ushers and Apogees on the same day and I was surprised how good it was TBH. Especially after the KSA50 experience.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

High voltage, low value/current capacitor types, such as in valve amps, tend to survive better than low voltage, high current types, I often re-form electrolytics in old equipment, when a cap has been left idle for a time, its internal resistance can drop drastically, which is the main reason old equipment like radios, Amps etc fail when someone decides to "plug it in to see if it works" you have to bring up the HT voltage very gradually, while monitoring the current the caps are drawing, until they get to a point where they have the maximum rated voltage on them' but draw next to no current, this indicates that the cap has reformed itself, and the leakage is back to normal, sometimes, they will not reform, and will keep drawing lots of current, thats when you have no choice but to discard them.
    Paper in oil caps for power supplies [not signal] tend to survive better, especialy the ones found in old military equipment, However; they are filled with toxic oil, and should never be broken, or deliberately cut open.
    Polypropylene caps for signal coupling are among the best caps you can buy today, as far as DC leakage is concerned.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    High voltage, low value/current capacitor types, such as in valve amps, tend to survive better than low voltage, high current types, I often re-form electrolytics in old equipment, when a cap has been left idle for a time, its internal resistance can drop drastically...
    Useful info, Anthony. In terms of the bit in bold, that's just as I suspected, which is why I mentioned to Martin to get the Krell re-capped, even if it had had little use

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I'll find someone to get the Krell fully re-capped and overhauled and then we will see what's what.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'll find someone to get the Krell fully re-capped and overhauled and then we will see what's what.
    Speak to Firebottle. He loves a good project. Localish too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

If Alan is interested in doing it I'd be happy to trust it to him.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

If you give it too Alan it will come back with some of those little glass bottles inside!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If you give it too Alan it will come back with some of those little glass bottles inside!

To be fair, he's as good with solid state gear. Fixed my Sony 730es amp with ease.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If Alan is interested in doing it I'd be happy to trust it to him.
    PM him for his phone number and have a chat with him. He's a nice bloke.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread