+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello Art of Sound !

Default Hello Art of Sound !

Good to be here !

Returning to analogue after a long lay off - decided to get the old girl up and running again - A Source turntable bought new from the Music Room in Glasgow in 1986. Going to get the arm (Mission 774) rewired. Have an original Garrott P-77 to get things going. Have had to fit a new motor to The Source as the old one gave up the ghost a few years back (Origin Live). Looking forward to a new arm eventually and a better phono stage - have Musical Fidelity X-Phono at present - but would love a Audion Premier !

Let the vinyl proceedings kick off again !

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Source155 View Post
    Good to be here !

Returning to analogue after a long lay off - decided to get the old girl up and running again - A Source turntable bought new from the Music Room in Glasgow in 1986. Going to get the arm (Mission 774) rewired. Have an original Garrott P-77 to get things going. Have had to fit a new motor to The Source as the old one gave up the ghost a few years back (Origin Live). Looking forward to a new arm eventually and a better phono stage - have Musical Fidelity X-Phono at present - but would love a Audion Premier !

Let the vinyl proceedings kick off again !

Hi welcome to AOS.

Source TT is a very nice deck indeed. Enjoy your trip back into spinning "12 in of plastic with a hole in the middle"

Whats the rest of your set up ? and we tend to use and like members to use a first name in their signature...makes for a more friendly forum.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Yep, welcome and above all, good luck!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Hi there!
    Welcome to AoS. Always liked the idea of the Source/Odyssey, so I'm a little jealous!
    I spent loads of cash at that place in Bath Street too!

Hope you get what you want from the AoS. What sort of music will you be playing on your TT?

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys.

My other front end is a Consonance Droplet 5.0 CD player.

Amps are Audiopax Model 5 pre and Model 98 power.

Speakers are Magnepan 2.6R's

Cabling by Acoustic Zen

Musical tastes - very broad - prog, jazz, rock, funk, classical, electronica, blues, pop - you name it really - if I like it I like it - the genre doesn't matter.

Names - Rush, Zappa, Porcupine Tree, Kraftewerk, Steve Hackett, Brand X, Flower Kings, Frost

I play bass guitar too so I do like the likes of Percy Jones, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg etc etc

Have been going to a lot of classical music concerts in Cardiff - in the bay - a venue called Hoddinot Hall - its part of the Millenium Center and is a fantastic rehearsal space for the National Orchestra of Wales. Can recommend it if you live anywhere near South Wales. Plus some of the concerts are free - you don't know what that means to a Scot like myself....
    The free concerts tend to be recordings for BBC Radio 3 - a recent programme about Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition was just fab - incredible dynamics. I can't imagine what you'd have to spend to get your system to sound like that !

What gigs have I been to of late - Steve Hackett, Porcupine Tree, Michael Schenker - off to see Riverside/Pineapple Thief on the 16th Nov (Bilston) - possibly Senser in Cardiff on 12th Nov. Have tickets for Gong/Steve Hillage in Bristol and Rammstein in Brum in Feb.

Looking forward to getting the old TT back in action !

Cheers
    Bill.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to AoS! Are you from South Wales, then?

It's good to see someone who regularly goes to gigs and hears live music!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Source155 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

My other front end is a Consonance Droplet 5.0 CD player.

Amps are Audiopax Model 5 pre and Model 98 power.

Speakers are Magnepan 2.6R's

Cabling by Acoustic Zen

Musical tastes - very broad - prog, jazz, rock, funk, classical, electronica, blues, pop - you name it really - if I like it I like it - the genre doesn't matter.

Names - Rush, Zappa, Porcupine Tree, Kraftewerk, Steve Hackett, Brand X, Flower Kings, Frost

I play bass guitar too so I do like the likes of Percy Jones, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg etc etc

Have been going to a lot of classical music concerts in Cardiff - in the bay - a venue called Hoddinot Hall - its part of the Millenium Center and is a fantastic rehearsal space for the National Orchestra of Wales. Can recommend it if you live anywhere near South Wales. Plus some of the concerts are free - you don't know what that means to a Scot like myself....
    The free concerts tend to be recordings for BBC Radio 3 - a recent programme about Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition was just fab - incredible dynamics. I can't imagine what you'd have to spend to get your system to sound like that !

What gigs have I been to of late - Steve Hackett, Porcupine Tree, Michael Schenker - off to see Riverside/Pineapple Thief on the 16th Nov (Bilston) - possibly Senser in Cardiff on 12th Nov. Have tickets for Gong/Steve Hillage in Bristol and Rammstein in Brum in Feb.

Looking forward to getting the old TT back in action !

Cheers
    Wow....love your system, cabling and music taste.

Please post some pictures of your set up in the Gallery section of the forum....pretty please.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

OK - will send some piccies when the Model 98 comes back from a service.

It's place is being taken by a pair of Acoustic Reality monoblock power amps - class D amps using the B&O module - 1200watts per side into 4 ohms. Mind you class D watts must be quite different from valve watts as the 30 watt Audiopax is not far behind in the punchiness stakes - quite a surprise really !

Cheers
    Bill.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Bill,

Where are you from, mate? I did ask before but I don't think you said

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread