+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCRU step 2 PSU any good?

I'm Michiel.

Default MCRU step 2 PSU any good?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading the PSU of my 1210. I already have externalized the stock PSU (see http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...an-SPDT-switch). This had proved to be a very worthwhile tweak, but I'm wondering about the following things:

A: Will a proper external DC PSU with an upgraded regulator inside the deck be a significant improvement over the externalized stock PSU?

B: What do you think of the Technics SL1200/1210 Linear Power Supply STEP2 by mains-cables-r-us (see http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/p...-supply.html)? To me it seems good value for money PSU (£285) and it has an extra regulator in a smaler casing which can be placed inside the deck. Do any of you have experience with this PSU?

C: How does the MCRU compare to the Paul Hynes SR3-21 (£270) with extra regulator module? Seems he has 3 types of regulators available, TDR21 (£160), S1709v4LN (£036) and Z1705LN (also £036)?

D: One more important thing: does it have a power switch? In my book, one should not have to pull the plug in order to cut the power from any electrical device.

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks!
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

I'm Kevin.

The PSU is designed and built by Nick Gorham, aka Lurcher here on AoS.
    Nick knows his stuff. I can't answer any of your questions, as I went directly from the standard PSU to the LDA PSU you are looking at. I am a very happy customer, and have no hesitation in recommending this product.

Edited to add I can answer question D - no it does not have a power switch..
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Josie.

If Nick made it, it will be good... simples. Buy with confidence.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Nick.

I can probably fit a mains switch on the back if needed.
    Nick.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    If Nick made it, it will be good... simples. Buy with confidence.
    +1.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Michiel.

Thanks for al the input guys! Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I can probably fit a mains switch on the back if needed.
    Sound like a nice option! I'll surely keep that in mind, Nick. Would adding a switch also require adding a snubber network? With my DIY externalized PSU, I experienced some problems with popping speakers when I just added a normal switch instead of using a SPDT switch with the snubber network on the stock PCB (see the thread on my externalized PSU).

Still wondering about the sound improvement the MCRU PSU (or Paul Hynes for that matter) would make compared to just externalizing the stock PSU. Anyone?
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Michielius View Post
    Thanks for al the input guys! Much appreciated!

Sound like a nice option! I'll surely keep that in mind, Nick. Would adding a switch also require adding a snubber network? With my DIY externalized PSU, I experienced some problems with popping speakers when I just added a normal switch instead of using a SPDT switch with the snubber network on the stock PCB (see the thread on my externalized PSU).

Still wondering about the sound improvement the MCRU PSU (or Paul Hynes for that matter) would make compared to just externalizing the stock PSU. Anyone?
    If you remind me I will add one if your system notices such things.
    Nick.

I'm Michiel.

I gave it some thought this weekend, read some more reviews and decided to go for the LDA/MCRU step 2 PSU. PM sent, Nick
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Sub REL Strata II

I'm Michiel.

So, last week I received the LDA/MCRU PSU and first impressions after a 40 hour burn-in are very good. These are my findings so far:

- Overall much smoother sound. Like a bunch of distortion has disappeared.
    - Tighter and better controlled bass
    - Better dynamics, especially micro-dynamics are much improved
    - Better detail and resolution
    - Improved soundstage: more width and depth but I especially notice an improved height

And this is compared to my externalized stock PSU! The differences compared to the stock PSU still sitting inside the deck must be really big, since just putting the stock PSU in an external casing already proved to be a big improvement.

Nick has indeed made a beautiful PSU here, very neatly built and also looking quite smart. I also found service to be outstanding. At my request he built it with power switch and snubber. When I installed it at first, the rpm, pitch and PSU leds didn't turn off when the PSU was turned off. So I contacted Nick and upon his advice I removed the snubber cap (he offered to do it, but I did it myself since I'm able to do a little soldering). This turned out to be the solution, and furthermore without the snubber cap there where no popping speakers when turning the PSU on or off. To me this says something about how well this PSU is designed, since my system is quite sensitive to these problems (I guess due to inferior wiring in my 1950s apartment).

Handling by Dave from MCRU was also very smooth. I also bought a Achromat from him, which I'll be adding later when I'm more familiar with the changes the PSU has made.

All in all I'm a very happy costumer and I wholeheartedly recommend this PSU to anyone still using the stock PSU, whether it's inside or outside the deck!
    Last edited by Michielius; 27-03-2016 at 06:24.
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Sub REL Strata II

I'm Nick.

Ta. Happy to help
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast