+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supex SD900 Super - worth today or....?

I'm gordan.

Default Supex SD900 Super - worth today or....?

There's a vintage SD900 Super (not II or others...) for sale here in the local ads, the asking price is 100E (85 pounds). Apparently a good condition and I can also inspect it with a microscope (which I don't have) or hear it playing....

Basically I don't need it - and not sure why I'm writing this at all, I have Denon 103 and soon I will have Benz Micro MC Gold in another deck (both Kuzma, one is old Stabi 2/Stogi and another is Stabi S/Stogi S combo). However, somehow I remember I was mighty impressed 25 years ago when I heard Thorens 160/Grace 707/Supex 900 combo so it's a bit of nostalgia thing.

Any thoughts where does it stand against modern cartridges and what is to be expected in a medium mass arms (both 12.5)? Shall I bite for it and see what is going to happen - if worn out soon, Soundsmith can be the last resort, $250 for basic alu and $375 for a ruby cantilever service.

I'm wondering if it will beat my other cartridges..... Help?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's good still, even if it tracks difficult records like a dog.......

Mine is an ancient trade-in (I have two actually). I'm using the one with the lowest riding stylus assembly and iffy body and it sounds great in a slightly recessed way (like a Koetsu). I'm enjoying it very much and the beautifully set diamond scrubbed up well with little obvious wear.

Put it this way. If you find the OC9 a little too "assertive" up top, you'll love the Supex. There's still a lovely "purity" of tone to it, and a way with harmonics that valve lovers know and understand. You never know, you may replace the 103 with it
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gordan.

Thanks. Your description sounds interesting to me - I don't like Audio Technica cartridges for a slight lack of tonal colour for my taste. I may try to persuade the owner to let me try it in my room.

I'm ChrisB.

Snap it up! It may well be just your thing - there's nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia. I'd rather have a Supex (any Supex) than a scalp removing AT. You can sell it on for what you paid at the very least if you don't like it.

Cheers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You'll LOVE it
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread