+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sitting here with soooo much gear and ma heed's mince!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Much better! Nice system is that. Keeping it simple with gear is generally the best way.
    Thanks, yeah must admit I'm liking how it looks and sounds

I'm Mike.

Here's the website for the unit if anyone fancies one.

http://thereallygoodoakshop.myshopify.com/

And no I'm not on commission lol

I'm gone.

How's the pup, Mike?

Nice system, btw!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    How's the pup, Mike?

Nice system, btw!
    Turning into a nightmare to be honest, picked up in Sunday, in vets by Monday with £350 bill, came home Tuesday and back in again yesterday afternoon grrrrr.

I've spent the last twenty years telling my daughter not to get one, and more so since she's now back living with us, but I thought I can't shuffle off this mortal coil still having denied her the one thing she's wanted more than anything else in her life, so I gave in lol.

We ARE in discussion with the breeder for as regards compensation

Now, the important stuff, the HiFi, you've always told me the TQ Claymore is a great amp, and since I've moved the setup to the other side of the room it's really sounding superb, I mean it always sounded great but now with the PMCs having the whole room to fire into rather than from either side of a large leather sofa, which was obviously killing the imaging/soundstage.

All the swapping of gear yesterday has really convinced me that this amp is staying. The only thing I want to do now is a an external PSU for the TT and then maybe a better arm.

I'm even thinking of selling The Beast as Colin calls it (Claymore 2). I only bought it to hear it, Colin has just checked it over and upgraded it and he said it was almost exactly the same spec as when it was made and didn't need anything replacing other than doing the upgrade. But selling is a decision I'll make another day as it really rocks and was a great match with the NVA Phono 2 for rock.

Mind you I'm writing all this and yet I can't help but browse eBay and the classifieds lol.

I nearly bought PMC 23's ( wrong colour though) the other day as I managed to convince my wife they were essentially the same size as the 21's taking the stands into account, so speakers might change if something nice comes up.

Bloody HiFi

I'm gone.

Sorry to hear about the pup.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    ... you've always told me the TQ Claymore is a great amp
    Yep, in some ways the best I have heard. The midrange rez is gobsmacking, but the highs were a bit too feisty in my system for my refayned classical music tastes.
    Superb (and I mean that word!) on rock / electronica, though.

I'm not familiar with the PMC 23, but I heard the 26 at a Show and was well impressed - the bass performance might mean that you'll need your house foundations reinforced, though.

And another for your Claymore 2 ... I do like my original and I am getting more curious about the 2 !!

I'm gone.

.... And what differences (if any) did you hear before/after the Claymore 2 Beast was upgraded?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Well after all the swapping back and forth.

I tried every combination possible and ended up....... Back where I started lol

So at the moment, until I find a stage I like I'm sticking with the TQ Claymore's built in one.

Main highlights of the built in stage were clarity, imaging and the width/depth of soundstage.

All the others combos I tried had areas that might have been slightly better than my amps' but the overall sound of the amp combined with a sound you could walk through (if you know what I mean) won the day, I just preferred it.

So, my next move might be a new tonearm for the 1210, fekin HiFi lol

If I told you the bass driver in the PMC's 'only' costs $5, would that make you look to a proper system upgrade? Those PMC's are the current bottleneck, especially in the upper midrange crossover region as well as being a bit bass shy and my suggestion is to hold off on the arm change and look at speaker alternatives, whether it be KEF's, Harbeths, floor standing *modern* Spendors, Neats or even the rather interesting (to me) Sonus Faber Venere's, which look so lovely and sparkle in a way vinyl lovers like There's another one as well which would be perfect for your stereo set, which could be loaned out to you to try...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12