Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The decline of good manners

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Not refering to a direct trouble maker but has an habbit of being sarcastic & belittling.I find offensive, hands up i aint had the best track record on forums but i'm generally oki doki till someone comes along giving it.Yes an olive branch was offered regarding the last tiff but i declined due to the fact i knew it would happen again pretty soon.
    Andre,

Chris is Chris and you are you. It is inevitable that there will be some personality clashes in any community, in real life and on-line - and AoS is no different. We like people to be themselves here as much as possible.

As long as both of you can manage your differences and not seek to 'niggle' each other at every opportunity (not that this is happening), there will be no problem.

However, I would say that the gentlemanly thing is always to accept an apology (when offered) in the spirit it was intended. Knowing Chris rather well, I can assure you that his offer of apology was well-meant and in no way disingenuous

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

I didn't want to comment on this thread because I don't like argueing or any other sort of trouble. I hoped someone else would address the comments I thought were unreasonable. After two days, though I just felt something had to be said - we shouldn't allow statements like that go unchallenged, otherwise we are in danger of being accused of agreeing with them.

I like to choose my words carefully and I will not throw insults around even with extreme provocation. However, if I offend someone, I will apologise whether that offence was intended or not. Equally, I expect to be apologised to when I've been treated badly. Because most people are reasonable & recognise offence when they've caused it, I've only ever felt the need to ask an adult for an apology twice in my entire life. Both of those times have been on AoS. Both times I have offered an apology to the other person first. Both times my request has been refused.

If that makes me a troublemaker then we're all doomed.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 05-11-2009 at 15:22.

I'm Peter.

So, the troublemaker is the one who offered the olive branch to end the trouble? And the one who refused the olive branch isn't a troublemaker?

Peter

I'm Neil.

Lets be careful how we proceed from this point onwards...please.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I'm done Neil.
    As I say, I didn't want to comment. And despite Mr Parry's comments being a somewhat barely veiled attack at me, I initially resisted the urge to reply, because I thought someone else might pick up on the general bad flavour of that post.

Subject over for me.
    But if necessary, in future I will make comment on what I believe to be aggressive, unfair, arrogant or rude.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I'm done Neil.
    As I say, I didn't want to comment. And despite Mr Parry's comments being a somewhat barely veiled attack at me, I initially resisted the urge to reply, because I thought someone else might pick up on the general bad flavour of that post.

Subject over for me.
    But if necessary, in future I will make comment on what I believe to be aggressive, unfair, arrogant or rude.

Hi Chris

Re the bit in bold...Yes absolutely.

Re my bit about " being careful" that wasn't aimed at you, but any others who might want to way in with further comments.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 05-11-2009 at 16:34.
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    The third option, of course, is to set them straight. Frankly, no-one who claims to be "genuinely nice" should ignore the fact that it is/was because of the tolerance and education of others that we become/became that way.
    *starts to ramble* I'm just out of my 20s, and even I think that we've gone the wrong way by banning corporal punishment, whether it be in the Courts or in the home. The way I've come to see it is, I'd rather receive 20 lashes in the public square and be done (and hopefully learn my lesson), than lose 5 years of my life in a prison cell. The things that can happen to you in prison amount to the same thing and worse anyway, IMO, and physical scars are far more tolerable than mental ones. I'm beginning to wonder if prison isn't altogether too cruel…
    Obviously, in a forum like this, it's a tongue-lashing you'll get, but it's better than nothing.
    hi simon,
    i find your opinions on this matter both refreshing and thought provoking, and not at all what i would expect from such a youngster! there is hope after all!
    A...
    Last edited by anthonyTD; 05-11-2009 at 17:32.

I'm Nobody.

Maybe Simon could give us all a cure for the muppetts that are running our postal service?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Obviously, in a forum like this, it's a tongue-lashing you'll get, but it's better than nothing.
    Some people would pay good money for one of those!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Tongue-lashing

Especially if there's a nice curl on the end with a stud in it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast