Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The decline of good manners

I'm Steve.

Default The decline of good manners

I don't normally get annoyed but I felt I had to express my dissapointment at some new members who have joined this forum.

Twice recently, I have taken the time to answer questions posed by new members. One was a private message on 15/10/09 asking many questions about the Stillpoints equipment stand which required a detailed and lengthy response.

The other was an open question about the Conrad Johnson CA200 Control Amp which again I took the trouble to respond to with the requested information.

Neither of these members could be bothered to respond with even a simple 'Thanks'.

My point is, if you are going to sign up as a participant in an enthusiasts forum, then please take the time to enagage with the other members and don't forget common courtesy!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    I don't normally get annoyed but I felt I had to express my dissapointment at some new members who have joined this forum.

Twice recently, I have taken the time to answer questions posed by new members. One was a private message on 15/10/09 asking many questions about the Stillpoints equipment stand which required a detailed and lengthy response.

The other was an open question about the Conrad Johnson CA200 Control Amp which again I took the trouble to respond to with the requested information.

Neither of these members could be bothered to respond with even a simple 'Thanks'.

My point is, if you are going to sign up as a participant in an enthusiasts forum, then please take the time to enagage with the other members and don't forget common courtesy!
    Hi Steve

I agree with you it is frustrating when you respond to a question by leaving an in depth answer and then receive no thanks. However in one case, your first item you didn't, in the second (if I looked in the right place) I think you did.

However regardless you raise a good point. It would be the ideal that members who ask questions and get replies should say thanks...common decency.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

I was rather shocked by this : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4360

but, perhaps, my french/english polite ways of asking are a bit outdated...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Dave.

Unfortunately, this lack of consideration also applies to other forums where you rarely get a thank you. The most frustrating to me is the N*im forum, where I have lost count of the number of times that I have given a factual answer only to be ignored but then several posts later, one of the Forum favourites will post exactly the same answer and be showered with thanks.

Drives me nuts and I rarely post there anymore.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

But you don't worship the best turntable system in the world, do you????

Oh, and you don't have an expensive (to lease) double-fronted shop in Leicestershire either
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

The most frustrating to me is the N*im forum, where I have lost count of the number of times that I have given a factual answer only to be ignored but then several posts later, one of the Forum favourites will post exactly the same answer and be showered with thanks.
    I think that happens to everyone, from time to time. If you are just a casual forum user, you don't get taken seriously until one of the big boys confirms what you said. By which time your post is forgotten.

Best not to expect thanks for anything you do or say.

Chaps

The internet is no place for shrinking violets who expect to be treated the same way as they would in the real world.

If you cannot accept that then best you leave to keep your blood pressure down.

Personally I could not care if I am loved or hated or ignored or whether I get thanked or not and that is why I am still around since the inception of Hifi fora and my blood pressure is still low.

I have to admit I have a laugh when some sad nerd sends me a pm whinging about how I have spoken to him on the forum. The message is simple, get a life and get real.

Regards

Mick
    Last edited by Mick Parry; 03-11-2009 at 16:09.

I'm notAlone.

Are you trying to imply that Internet impersonation makes people (you included) schizophrenic ?

If not, which is the real character ? The polite (IRL) or the other one (forum) ?

I don't consider that Internet is not IRL, I always end up meeting my forum friends.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Dimitri

I use my real name and I am the same here as in real life. The bastards you can't trust are those who use false names with something to hide.

I suspect many big hard tough guys here are hen pecked snivelling little men in real life.

Some are genuine and some are fake, that is the reality of internet persona.

Regards

Mick

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Parry View Post
    Chaps

The internet is no place for shrinking violets who expect to be treated the same way as they would in the real world.

If you cannot accept that then best you leave to keep your blood pressure down.

Personally I could not care if I am loved or hated or ignored or whether I get thanked or not and that is why I am still around since the inception of Hifi fora and my blood pressure is still low.

I have to admit I have a laugh when some sad nerd sends me a pm whinging about how I have spoken to him on the forum. The message is simple, get a life and get real.

Regards

Mick

Mick the Art of Sound as a forum attempts to be different to other forums and being courteous/friendly etc is part of what makes it better than other places. However it does go wrong every so often, sadly we then have to step in.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast