+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little more work on my caiman mk2

I'm Alrick.

Default A little more work on my caiman mk2

Have had stans upgrade swf3 chip installed now for a few months works very well indeed have done his gfu mod super caps though underneath as did not wish to disturb the oscons i had soldered in earlier.Whilst i had the case open installed the 22x 470 uf 16vdc oscon sepc caps in place of earlier bank of sep oscons as these have better esr .Why so many the values are smaller thus required this many ,however once installed and measured found total capacitance was 12,700uf caps done in paralel.will post pictures.As for the sound had to be run in overnight sounded very splashy strident on first firing up.After run the following day the dac is now superb playing discs all day hearing details on discs i know very well and being astounded .Every single source movies streamed via oppo 105d the television all sound great,i use dx3 in a horn boxes bass is fast tuneful midrange informative treble soaring all whilst being relaxing and at low levels.,should i crank up the wick all i have described remains the same just much louder, speakers feed by bottlehead modified 4 watt class d amplifier fronted by stereo coffee ldr preamp.Stanley has brought music to the masses i own the original caiman as well as bushmaster mk 1&2 .
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a great job. Given that you know how to wield a soldering iron, you might be interested in the now abandoned GFU mod for the Caiman. See the PDF file that I did with reasonably clear instructions at http://www.beresford.me/downloads/CMIIGFU.pdf
    You don't have to worry about the elusive SFW4 firmware mentioned in the PDF itself. The SFW3 will do just fine. But once you have done the mod, and if your fingers are itching to try the SFW4 in the mod, PM or email me a picture of the changes you made to make the PCB GFU compliant. I'll then PM you how you can get the SFW4 for the cost of P&P only.

There is a derivative of the GFU mod for the Bushmaster MKI and MKII as well, but I haven't released them for the same reason that the GFU mod was abandoned: difficulties with desoldering and soldering of SMD components. Not everyone is confident enough to take on that task.

I'm Alrick.

Default thanks Stan

Thanks for the kind words stan the gru mod i have completed my pictures of my board look different to yours in the pdf picture is due to the fact that,i read somewhere that you had used used size b 150uf low esr tant cap at c43/c49.Also the cap 10uf tant at c43 was reused at cap49 the tokin supercaps have been soldered underneath c73/c83 thus are not visible i ,should photographed these prior to closing the case all other component changes as stated in the pdf.Could please send me a paypal payment request for swf4 did not realise there was another upgrade chip available1&2 i have upgraded the chip on the bushmaster mk2 could please send me details of the gfu mod for the bushmaster mk1&2 as the bushmaster mk2 feeds my stax electrostatic headphones and the mk 1 bushmaster takes spdif from my computer in the cellar as well as handling headphone duties as well..thanks a lot Aleman.

I'm Alrick.

Sorry Stan have read your post properly will pm you and ask for swf4 software chip details email pictures of board now see why you have not answered as breech of rules by myself i have dyslexia .thanks Aleman

I'm Alex.

Hi Stan,
    Does it mean that there is a Super Caiman or Caiman 3 in the works? If so, please post some details when available.

I have been thinking of an equivalent to the Gatorized version of the Caiman MKI, but the additional cost of making a limited production run as before is the one stumbling block. There is no space on the Caiman MKII PCB to do any major upgrades either. So a redesign internally would be the only sensible way to go about it. But then we get into unknown territory at a higher manufacturing cost.

I'm Peter.

Default Got the bug again . . . .

. . . . after reading Aleman's comments here. So, after emailing Stan to request the GFU firmware and ordering the other bits and pieces I should be good to start surgery on my CMII by the weekend. Everything really sounds superb anyway, but once again curiosity got the better of me! Will report on progress and results soon.
    Marantz SA8005 SACD Player and DAC , Krell KAV 300iL, IPL S4TL speakers, Tesco granite plinths, BK Electronics XXL400 Subwoofer, DSpeaker 8033 Antimode, Plasma HDTV, HDD recorder and Blu-ray player, all Panasonic

I'm tony.

Pete,
    I would be interested to read your findings,sadly my skill set with a soldering iron is sadly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Pete,
    I would be interested to read your findings,sadly my skill set with a soldering iron is sadly lacking.
    How far are you from Edinburgh Tony?

I'm Peter.

Tony, I live near the Erskine Bridge, just off A82. Once my BMII is modded I could possibly be persuaded to do yours. All you would required to provide is the chip from Stan as I will have enough resistors and caps left over to do another one. I anticipate favourable results - been soldering for over 40 years !
    Marantz SA8005 SACD Player and DAC , Krell KAV 300iL, IPL S4TL speakers, Tesco granite plinths, BK Electronics XXL400 Subwoofer, DSpeaker 8033 Antimode, Plasma HDTV, HDD recorder and Blu-ray player, all Panasonic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast