+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMF RTS 1 loudspeaker opinions please

I'm rupert.

Default IMF RTS 1 loudspeaker opinions please

Hello to All,
    does anybody know these speakers ? I am looking at an advert on a local auction where a pair is going for around 50 quid. They seem to have a good and professional reputation. Thank's.

Last edited by r100; 05-03-2016 at 20:55.

I'm Geoff.

They're TDLs, not IMFs.

Look decent enough though. The drivers look rather similar to items Heybrook used. I'd grab them. Why not make an offer?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm rupert.

oops, yep... and the model is RTL not RTS ...

I'm Deleted.

TDL's 'design thing' was transmission line bass loading and the foam filled rectangular ports suggest this is the case here too. The only thing is that this is really too small a speaker to make use of a proper transmission line so it's more likely to be a kind of damped port (aperiodic).
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    this is really too small a speaker to make use of a proper transmission line(aperiodic).
    Try telling that to PMC .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Default IMF RTS 1 loudspeaker opinions please

Yeah well it's still true, physics is still physics and marketing is still wishful thinking.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

RTL stood for reduced transmission line - or something similar to 'reduced' anyway. Same as the RTL1, 2 3 and 4 which are still around on the used market.

Somewhere between a port and a TL but then so is any TL that contributes the rear wave to the sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Try working out the principles behind the IMF ALS designs. I think I can guess how they work.

These were capable of some very fruity, tight and powerful bass.

I'm Martin.

Thus in the somewhat smaller bookshelf ALS 40 Il an additional bextrene sub-woofer is fitted at the end of the line to enhance low frequency efficiency and extend the bass response below that which is typical of such an enclosure size. This extra bass unit is electrically driven via the crossover network and is of dissimilar but interelated resonance to the upper bass unit and to the length of lirie. As such, the 1 active' transmission line (ALS) is a stage removed from the slave units employed with reflex enclosures

not sure I fully get it but there you go

RTL was Reflex Transmission line

Here is the link to the brochures - Rupert is looking at the RTL1 not the RTS 1 which doesn't exist

http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/tdl
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm rupert.

yep, sorry, I got the title horribly wrong. Thank's for the input so far

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast