+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capacitor recommendations for valve amps.

I'm Darren.

Default Capacitor recommendations for valve amps.

I recently picked up a Armstrong Model 222, it's in good working order and the construction is simple enough that I'm confident servicing it myself. Capacitor replacement seems to be the most appropriate place to start so I'm after recommendations for budget replacement capacitors please.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm mick.

Russian ex military,favourite is the K73 mylar type.
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Alan.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

i wondered what you'd been upto, is this your first project since upgrading your 44's?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by mik_rik View Post
    Russian ex military,favourite is the K73 mylar type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Thanks both, your reply's made me realise I need an assortment of capacitor values and types, I'll post a list of everything that's in the Armstrong.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    i wondered what you'd been upto, is this your first project since upgrading your 44's?
    Work is what I've been up to lately. I've been chipping away at some other projects during the meager amount of free time I've had over the past 4 months. I've fitted new tweeters and reworked the crossover in the UL8's I use as surround speakers and I'm currently working on a pair of Beovox 5700's to use as a centre, my to do list is still massive but I just don't have the free time at the moment (I don't think I've done any work on the 401 in a year ). This is a project for my brother, he's just broken his wrist and he's signed off for the next couple of weeks so looking for something to keep him occupied.

Although I've not been active on here I have been keeping up with recent threads, I see your 301 is moving on nicely and it seems you've been impressed by the modded Lentek?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

danilo Guest

I'd immediately replace ALL the carbon resistors in that thing.
    Most assuredly those will have Drifted due to Age and Heat. Nature of the critters.
    Likely causing a significant sound change/drift from when New.
    Surprisingly so when experienced.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Work is what I've been up to lately. I've been chipping away at some other projects during the meager amount of free time I've had over the past 4 months. I've fitted new tweeters and reworked the crossover in the UL8's I use as surround speakers and I'm currently working on a pair of Beovox 5700's to use as a centre, my to do list is still massive but I just don't have the free time at the moment (I don't think I've done any work on the 401 in a year ). This is a project for my brother, he's just broken his wrist and he's signed off for the next couple of weeks so looking for something to keep him occupied.

Although I've not been active on here I have been keeping up with recent threads, I see your 301 is moving on nicely and it seems you've been impressed by the modded Lentek?
    I've not had the pleasure of any Beovox speakers The fact that you've not had much to do on the 401 is reassuring in a weird way, they are so well built you could probably leave it another 5 years and it'll probably still be as good. My 301 is nearing the end of it's journey TBH, maybe decouple the motor, discrete vibration isolation and a new plinth and then it's done. It'll probably be arms, carts, platter mats that will then change over the years. The Lentek is a side distraction TBH, it is very good and I bought it on a whim, it's a keeper for the time being and works well with the Denon 103M that I bought. I must admit that I've been messing around with Tuners as well and I fancy getting a Troughline 3, I have a Dynalab but fancy something to sit in the valve system. Good luck with the Armstrong Resto, I look forward to following this thread.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread