+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roon & Pi/IQAudio - A real Roon endpoint

I'm andrew.

It's sounding nice and detailed but at little bass light at the moment, bass guitars seem a bit less prominent compared to my normal dac but it needs to run in for a few days.
    If I go for a linear psu I think I will go for one of the ebay jobs first.
    Andy.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    It's sounding nice and detailed but at little bass light at the moment, bass guitars seem a bit less prominent compared to my normal dac but it needs to run in for a few days.
    If I go for a linear psu I think I will go for one of the ebay jobs first.
    I'm assuming you have it set as hardware volume control and alsamixer at 100%

100 is too hot for my setup and I run it at 93, but I think 100 is optimal for most setups.

I can get thunderous bass on electronic tracks on my piddly little PMC 21's

I'm andrew.

I am not sure how to change those settings, with Roon there is only the option to enable or disable hardware volume, I have enabled it and set it to 100 in Roon.
    It's not an entirely level playing field at the moment as I have it hooked up with a cheap set of interconnects that I had lying around, tomorrow I will have a root behind the rack and connect up with the RFC Mercurys that connect to my Chevron dac.
    Andy.

I'm Mike.

Maybe have to SSH into it using Putty or a similar programme. This gets you into the Pi and you can then get into the alsamixer settings.

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Maybe have to SSH into it using Putty or a similar programme. This gets you into the Pi and you can then get into the alsamixer settings.
    Now you are getting to technical for me
    Andy.

I'm Richard.

I think same...
    I using Kodi, and after it scrapes all the info for whole Music or Movie library its not a bunch of files abut nice selection with all the informations ...
    So yes, for me is the same...I have all of this and for free

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    This gives a far better run through than anything I could write here:
    http://www.tonepublications.com/spot...-depth-review/
    To answer the question what does it give you over all of the free tools available - Functionally, not a lot, but in terms of the interface, how you interact with it and how utterly addictive it is in that it makes your digital files stored on your NAS, or your streaming service feel like a music collection rather than a bunch of files sat on a server, it's a world apart from everything else.
    Unless I'm mistaken, what one is subscribing to is some form of multi dimensional music categorisation index/catalogue system...

I followed your link, and one of the screenshots has David Bowie categorised under 'R&B', Prince under 'Electronic', and Zappa under 'Classical'...

I'm not sure I need that kind of assistance...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, what one is subscribing to is some form of multi dimensional music categorisation index/catalogue system...

I followed your link, and one of the screenshots has David Bowie categorised under 'R&B', Prince under 'Electronic', and Zappa under 'Classical'...

I'm not sure I need that kind of assistance...
    Well, I'm not sure what of Bowie's output could be considered R&B, but Prince made a couple of Electronic albums and Zappa most certainly dabbled with Classical. All of the Zappa in my Roon library appears under Avante-Garde and Prog-Rock which sounds about right. I can't say I've disagreed with any of the categorisations Roon has come up with so far.
    Rich

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Still doesn't give me a lot, as mentioned already I can do similar for free.

Thanks for the info at least now I know it's not worth buying.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

It does look pretty, but it doesn't seem to do much that you can't do with Subsonic, Plex, Ampache, Servilo or (to an extent) Kodi for much less money.

I'm Mike.

I think where it overshadows the likes of kodi etc is that like most music streaming services it hunts out info, lyrics and similar artists to encourage you to try other stuff.

I'm not one for doing that so it didn't interest me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast