+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Celestion (H) Hadliegh - any information appreciated

I'm Peter.

Default Celestion (H) Hadliegh - any information appreciated

Hi,

I picked up a pair of Celestion Hadlieghs on ebay as a project for me to familiarise myself with the inner workings of vintage loudspeakers and attempt to restore a pair.
    Does anyone have any information on them - history, diagrams, some insight? I was surprised to find so little on the internet through a quick search but maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Any help would be appreciated and maybe some more later when I get inside them

Cheers

Peter

I'm Geoff.

The Hadleigh was a direct competitor to the budget Wharfedale Denton at the time. I believe it uses the same bass driver as the Celestion County, but with a different tweeter and smaller cabinet. It is likely to have a 4 to 8 ohm impedance rating.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

I have a pair of these but can't really tell you much... mine arrived with one tweeter out so I replaced the tweeter with a Castle cone tweeter which works well and used them for background music in the workshop for years (this duty now filled by Mordaunt Short speakers). They are currently at a neighbours...

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the input - Ill probably pick them up over the weekend. They were £3.99 for the pair and the seller has just offered me a second pair with one having a problem with its tweeter I believe on the house.
    So a lot of speaker for under 5 quid and a great opportunity to learn a little about restoring speakers before I get stuck into something more chunky.

I'm really surprised at the lack of info considering how much there is on the Dittons etc. Lets hope someone pops up with info. I guess Ill be opening them up anyway and I don't expect them to be too complicated to ill pop questions on pics on here for help.

I'm Geoff.

Peter. I suspect the reason info is thin on the ground, is that the Hadleigh was the sort of speaker people just bought off the shelf to use with the 'music centres' that were popular back in the seventies and tended not to be bought by Hi-Fi enthusiasts. Not that there's anything wrong with them. Knowing Celestion, they probably sound decent enough.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Ah that makes sense. Well they will still suit my purpose and if I do a decent job the kids or my nephew will have some speakers to start them off on there road to hifi
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pbroido View Post
    Ah that makes sense. Well they will still suit my purpose and if I do a decent job the kids or my nephew will have some speakers to start them off on there road to hifi
    oops their rather that there (before the grammar police come out to play
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Hadleigh was a direct competitor to the budget Wharfedale Denton at the time. I believe it uses the same bass driver as the Celestion County, but with a different tweeter and smaller cabinet. It is likely to have a 4 to 8 ohm impedance rating.
    I recall these in a Hi-Fi Year Book.

Very basic, without even input terminals.
    At least on the very early models.
    The back panel was hardboard, very popular at the time.

As Celestion made them, they must have been half-decent.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by pbroido View Post
    oops their rather that there (before the grammar police come out to play
    We did have a Grammar Policeman but he was busted by Internal Affairs - turned out he was splitting infinitives on the side.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread