+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade speaker questions?

I'm paul.

Question Upgrade speaker questions?

is it a worthwhile upgrade:

Tannoy DC6T - to - Tannoy XT6F?

Also, why would something costing £2500 be superior to something costing £1500? (especially if both products are reviewed with 5 star awards)?

cheers!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post

Also, why would something costing £2500 be superior to something costing £1500? (especially if both products are reviewed with 5 star awards)?

cheers!
    Only you can answer that, more expensive dosnt always mean better, both those models can be had for under a grand brand new
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Only you can answer that, more expensive dosnt always mean better, both those models can be had for under a grand brand new
    I wasn't suggesting that the Tannoy's in particular cost £1500 - £2500 B.T.W.! I meant any speakers in general?

Yes the DC6T usually goes for around £250 (circa 2011), whilst the much newer (circa 2015) technology XT6F is usually around £995.

...I can't answer 'that'!! ~ that's why I'm asking perhaps anyone on here that has worked in the business (e.g. a hifi shop)....

I'm James.

paul, i meant only you can decide if it would be a worth while upgrade by trying both types of speakers
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    paul, i meant only you can decide if it would be a worth while upgrade by trying both types of speakers
    OK!

I'm Dave.

You have to audition them yourself and also try some other brands. Just because a product gets rave reviews doesn't mean it is any good and there are many excellent speakers out there which haven't appeared in the mags.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You have to audition them yourself and also try some other brands. Just because a product gets rave reviews doesn't mean it is any good and there are many excellent speakers out there which haven't appeared in the mags.
    too true, i remember What hifi's review of the usher s520's , they wernt keen, i bloody loved em ive fallen for the 5 star review in the past and bought because of it only to move the gear on pretty damn quick as it wasnt for me.

I'm Geoff.

Very nice the Usher S520. A bargain at the price. Proper Hi-Fi from a small box.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post

cheers!
    As for the Tannoys I can't help; but ignore those reviews. The only reviews you need to worry about are the ones you do yourself using your own ears in your own room.
    Secondly, the cost is rarely related to whether something is superior. A large majority of the whole 'hi-fi business' is a sham and a scam and has been for about 30 years now
    EG. The modestly priced £3.5k speakers in my sig are superior IMHO to certain better known so called 'hi-fi' speakers costing £27k.....

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    yes - true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast