+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Beogram 5500 Turntable, any thoughts?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    I recently got hold of a Technics SL-7 for 65quid, it turned on fine but the arm would not move. I got the service manual and opened it up and as I suspected the tonearm belt was shot. I bought a new one from LPGear, they still make them and it worked like new.

Well with the Ortofon TM 14 cart that came with it I wasn't impressed, but I had a fairly new Grado Blue P mount that I had used on my SL1200 Mk2 with an adapter.

What a revelation this thing came alive, it trounced my SL1200 Mk2.

It sounds way better than it should and has deep well defined bass, mid range that's sweet and lush and crisp slightly rolled off highs.

I listen to it more than my main table now. It weighs a ton and seems to be built like a tank.

You can go up to the Grado Gold in P mounts (no hum problems here) or there is an Ortofon High Output M/C cart that is supposed to be excellent.

If you can pick one up cheap like I did you can't go wrong.
    An even better bargain ' i think is the SLQL1 or DL1 ,these can be picked up for peanuts , 1 recently sold for £6.48 ' they must be rubbish right '.

Well mine is working well 'and for £25 its pretty decent sounding , easily as good as the SL7 and heavier (7.4kg vs SL7 6.5kg).

I tried the Soundhifi mat with it ' it fits fine and sounds miles better than the rubber one supplied , its been fun for me .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nathan.

I think I've finally landed the bargain I was looking for:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=164970

And he works just down the road from where I do. 60 euro, score.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    I think I've finally landed the bargain I was looking for:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=164970

And he works just down the road from where I do. 60 euro, score.
    You might have a bit of trouble mounting another arm on that. The MK.I TD160 suspension arm cutout apature is different to the later ones..SME 3009 wont be possible.

I'm Nathan.

I'll find someway to get a better arm onto it! If anyone has any ideas about decent tweaks for this let me know, it will be an ongoing project I am sure.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Nobody.

Maybe your best bet is a small hole mounting such as Mayware, Hadcock, & Mission 774 original (this is near enough SME pattern but only has a small protrusion underneith.)

chipboard surround wants scrapping & the sub wants damping.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 26-11-2009 at 18:31.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

TD160's were often used right from their inception in '72 with SME "improved" arms with the horizontal cable entry. Conversion kits for older arms are available, used at least. The pre-improved arms are too deep at the rear though I think, so a lid will be a no-no.

Rega fitting arms can be used well and an old R200 always sounded well with it. The 774 Mission should also be a great combination if memory serves me well.

Actually, the Thorens arm isn't bad if the bearings are fettled and Johnie at Audio Origami would be delighted to re-wire it for you. I've seen an article on removing the headshell-socket locking pin and sliding the wires out that way, down the tube (having attached the new ones of course to draw through

If you use the TP16 arm, then mid-priced moving magnet carts can easily be used and I suspect the Denon 110 and 160 would be fine as well. The arm bearings must be carefully adjusted though, as they came with plenty of slop built in..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Dave i don't like repeating myself but i had the very early Mk.1 he's on about.. you can't get an SME 3009 in it i know i tried, the cut out in the sub is slightly different to the ones that came just after..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456