+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Firebottle Head Amp development

I'm James.

Will be interested in your findings Gaz especially with a comparison with the Firebottle MC stage.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

I have the gold coloured one on loan, who's due to get it next ?

I'm Alan.

There are two gold coloured demonstrator units out on loan so this could get complicated.

Just shout up if you want to try one and pm your details to mikeyb

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    There are two gold coloured demonstrator units out on loan so this could get complicated.

Just shout up if you want to try one and pm your details to mikeyb
    Ah ok, mind you the bloody great gouge I put on it will help tell them apart

Kidding!

I think I need something else as it doesn't give me much more than my built in stage on it's own, which I'm thinking more and more is really good. Since my tweaking to try the Denon 301 Mk2, I've actually gotten my Zu to sound even better, so that's been a bonus.

Although I've not tried it since the tweaks so I'll give it a go this week if I still have it and see if there's more in it.

I'm Deba.

Me please!
    MikeyB - sent PM
    Analogue - 401/PU7/Benz Wood + Oracle Delphi-FR64fx-2M Black, Digital - Sonos/Metrum
    Amps - Hegel H360, Croft 25R/7R, Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers - Shahinian Obelisks, Proac D28, JR149

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
    Me please!
    MikeyB - sent PM
    Replied

I'm Deba.

Default My thoughts on the Arkless and Firebottle head amps

Analogue - 401/PU7/Benz Wood + Oracle Delphi-FR64fx-2M Black, Digital - Sonos/Metrum
    Amps - Hegel H360, Croft 25R/7R, Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers - Shahinian Obelisks, Proac D28, JR149

I'm James.

Just an update on the Firebottle Head amp.

I have now purchased the Firebottle 2000 Head amp and it is some way better than the demonstrator going round at the moment. Not sure if this is to do with the bigger battery or foo capacitors I have in mine. I am sure if you speak to Akan he will tweek caps according to taste or budget. I have PIO in mine which gives the Head amp a more organic less tranny sound.

It is throws a big dynamic soundstage and sounds very smooth indeed with my Denon 301 mk2. Loads of detail and texture. Dare I say this is now giving my K&K SUT a bit more competition and in some areas beats it!

I had my Head amp gain reduced to 26db which suits my cartridge and now works very nicely with the Croft 25R+ .
    Loading is 1000 ohms but I will play with 300 ohm loading plugs later. Sounds great and getting better as it runs in a bit.

There is no edge to the sound at all, just full rich lush analogue sound with plenty of balls!

This is a definite recommendation if your in the market for a head amp as it is very well built and does a magnificent job with maximum SPPV.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

This is a definite recommendation if your in the market for a head amp as it is very well built and does a magnificent job with maximum SPPV.

Ill second that , had my Firebottle plus a few weeks now and settling in just fine
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Gary.

Had the Firebottle headamp in my system for while now, thought it time to post my impressions and send it on.
    Thanks to Alan for the chance to try it for myself.
    I run my deck into one of Alan's Firebottle Plus phonostages, mines has the MC stage fitted so was looking forward to comparing my MC cartridge playing through that vs Alans headamp from the MM stage of my Firebottle Plus.
    My FB Plus has a valve output stage...so would feeding my cart through a different output (and battery powered at that) make any difference?

All hooked up and ready to go, I put on "The Lion's Roar" by First Aid Kit, an LP where the vocals are quite "hot" in the treble and can sound harsh if the system's not right.
    First impressions was that the Headamp had more gain than my FB Plus, music seemed louder and it was bit more dynamic.
    Happily, the vocals were spot on, it was easy to seperate the two seperate harmonies with no hint of spit or edginess. Quite natural sounding too...as good as my FB Plus MC output I'd say, just louder.
    Over the course of the evening I tried a few other albums I know well, swapping between the headamp and my Firebottle Plus' own MC output.

Short version?
    I think overall in hifi terms the headamp sounds as good as the direct output from the Plus, but it presents music in a different way.
    Music seemed a touch more brightly lit with the Headamp perhaps, which having got used to the way valves do their thing always sticks out for me.
    Slightly energetic at the top end, to these ears and preferences sure, but very open and (most importantly) no grain or edge to the sound.
    Bass is good too, goes deep is tight and carries the tune along nicely.

Could happily live with either but have to say though that in my system, to my ears I prefer the direct feed from the Plus.
    Nothing in it general hifi terms wise (which is quite a thing given the price difference between the headamp and my FB Plus) but its a different presentation from what my ears have settled on I guess.
    Its an extra box too as I already have an MC stage, but if I didn't...

I cant think of a better sounding way to let you play with MC carts.
    This head amps a bloody good 'un.
    Subjectively as good as the MC output in my £500 Firebottle Plus and is highly recommended for those wanting to try moving coil carts.

So, who's next on the loan list?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-05-2016 at 15:43.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast