+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon.com (US) offering "Burn on Demand"

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Does anyone else remember the time (long after the release of CD) when we were told the reason CD's cost £15 as opposed to the £5 or £6 that lp's were was because they were a premium product?
    Pure, perfect sound forever anyone?
    I remember very well the advertisement hype :
    - CDs were virtually indestructible. Last forever. (you bet!)
    - You could make a copy as good as the original (nowadays, you are accused of piracy if you do that)
    - They were easier to produce, stock or transport : so prices would quickly drop (still waiting for this : actual LPs are still the same price as CDs)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Tony.

Does anyone else remember the time (long after the release of CD) when we were told the reason CD's cost £15 as opposed to the £5 or £6 that lp's were was because they were a premium product?
    Pure, perfect sound forever anyone?
    Oohh yes. There was a little shop in Chester that started to sell CDs at £9.95 when they were mostly £13+ in the high street record shops. They did a roaring trade but were somehow removed from business (allegedly) for undercutting the big players. A sad loss at the time way before Amazon.

Then there was a national price fixing investigation I seem to remember that concluded that charging so much more for a CD than a record was fine. Newer technology, lower volumes, blah blah. (and this was at a time when they'd started giving CDs away free on the cover of mags) The same reasons they now give for how vinyl has leapfrogged in price over CD.

Cheers,
    Tony

I'm Nobody.

Not long after CD first came out i was about to leave the record shop i worked..If i remember we had just a handful of titles in the whole shop..Dire Straits 'Brothers In Arms' & Bruce Springsteen 'Born In The USA' were two i remember, maybe 'War Of The Worlds' aswell!!..Others were to order but we sold very few..little later on i bought my very first CDP, Mission 'DAD7000', Cost me a fortune but sounded great at the time.i remember being virtually on bread & water for a couple months till i paid for it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12