+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha A-S1100 Amp

I'm Phil.

Default Yamaha A-S1100 Amp

Hi All, does anybody have any views on Yamaha amps and in particular the A-S1100 as I am thinking of buying one, I have a Yamaha engine in my car and that is the dogs wotsits so I figure if their engines are that good their amps should be pretty good too Your comments will be appreciated.

I'm Marc.

I have a soft spot for Yamaha amps but they don't seem to brook much credibility around these parts.

I don't know this amp (although it looks lovely) but I did last weekend go with a friend to the local discount hifi store and demo the S501 against the current Onkyo at about the same price (this is sub £200 stuff so not the same ballpark really, but) the Yammy won hands down with us - whilst the Onkyo initially sounded more resolved in the high end it very quickly sounded like a cheap trick (basically it just sounded like a smile eq with boosted top and bottom) and was quite muddled - the Yamaha on the other hand was incredibly even handed and honest sounding, it just got out of the way and let the music do the talking, which works for me. Needless to say my mate ended up buying the Yamaha and was well chuffed with his purchase.

This was paired with Quad 12L speakers which are not an easy pairing so it's a good pitch for the Yamaha and one can only imagine that things get better further up the food chain.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I have a soft spot for Yamaha amps but they don't seem to brook much credibility around these parts.

I don't know this amp (although it looks lovely) but I did last weekend go with a friend to the local discount hifi store and demo the S501 against the current Onkyo at about the same price (this is sub £200 stuff so not the same ballpark really, but) the Yammy won hands down with us - whilst the Onkyo initially sounded more resolved in the high end it very quickly sounded like a cheap trick (basically it just sounded like a smile eq with boosted top and bottom) and was quite muddled - the Yamaha on the other hand was incredibly even handed and honest sounding, it just got out of the way and let the music do the talking, which works for me. Needless to say my mate ended up buying the Yamaha and was well chuffed with his purchase.

This was paired with Quad 12L speakers which are not an easy pairing so it's a good pitch for the Yamaha and one can only imagine that things get better further up the food chain.
    Thanks Marc

I'm Dave.

I have tried a couple of Yamaha amps because they looked much like the vintage models but found them flat and uninvolving.

On the plus side, I am told that they aren't selling well, so large discounts are possible.

I'm Phil.

No other views on Yamaha amps anyone?

I'm Marc.

Well, with two contradictory reviews it seems you're going to need to find somewhere that will demo it for you so you and decide for yourself, look forward to hearing your findings.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm sure they're a straight down the line kind of amp, a blank canvas I suspect that may possibly be 'humanised' with careful cable and ancillary choices. I've heard the big CD player (non balanced version) and it's really good IMO and so slick to use.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Phil.

Well I thought "what the hell" and bought it anyway, I just had to have those VU meters . Let me tell you, this amp is not just big, it's biiiiiiiiiiig, I just about got a hernia carrying the box into my house. I got it all set up and I absolutely love it, it certainly suits me, I need to upgrade the rest of my kit now and first will be the speakers, anyone got any suggestions as to what will go nicely with the amp, budget up to about £1200. I would also like to get the matching CD player when I can afford it too.

And those VU meters are definitely mesmerising

I'm Marc.

Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen ;-)
    Still sitting on the floor at the moment, I need to get a new rack strong enough to support the beasts 23kg weight
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast