+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 12BH7A valve. Impressions? Insights?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    the Mega Micro's line stage was updated (among other things) in 2015. I don't actually know what was in there before, I had the seller ship it straight to Glenn Croft. I suspect the 12BH7As came with the overhaul (I sank £500 into it). He says it is now better than a 25R -- some of which presumably has to do with the 12 valves in the power supply unit & the four-way HT regulation... . though given the different topologies etc any comparisons with later models evoke apples & oranges.
    Can you kindly post some pics of the mega micro internals?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm ahto.

having just got the hang of Photobucket I might as well replace this post with proper pics of the insides of the two Mega Micro II boxes.

the preamp:

the PSU:

some of the PSU valves slantwise:
    Last edited by eksiil; 18-10-2016 at 17:11. Reason: more & better pictures
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Panos.

having just got the hang of Photobucket I might as well replace this post with proper pics of the insides of the two Mega Micro II boxes.

the preamp:

the PSU:

some of the PSU valves slantwise:
    Wow, so many valves in the PSU box!

I wonder whether you've ever considered asking Glenn to move the transformers to a separate box, like he does with the Micro25RS... I do not know whether that would yield a worthwhile improvement, at least one that would justify the cost.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm ahto.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Wow, so many valves in the PSU box!

I wonder whether you've ever considered asking Glenn to move the transformers to a separate box, like he does with the Micro25RS... I do not know whether that would yield a worthwhile improvement, at least one that would justify the cost.
    the transformers are in a separate box. box no. 1 contains the 5 preamp valves. box no. 2 has the 12 regulator valves in the PSU. or do you mean a 3rd box?
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Panos.

the transformers are in a separate box. box no. 1 contains the 5 preamp valves. box no. 2 has the 12 regulator valves in the PSU. or do you mean a 3rd box?
    Yes, Ahto, as a matter of fact, I was referring to a third box, which would completely isolate the transformers. It seems that you're not far from a no-compromise solution, so I am suggesting of some (theoretical?) further improvements, irrespective of cost. And perhaps you could also consider changing the Trigon ECC83 with something better (again theoretically...).

Just my two pence -)
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm ahto.

I don't think Croft has ever gone as far as three boxes. would it make practical sense? I must profess utter cluelessness here. it's an interesting thought though, thanks.

the Trigons remain as much an affectation (Indian Mullards, after all) as an imposition till I can justify the cost of something better.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Yes, Ahto, as a matter of fact, I was referring to a third box, which would completely isolate the transformers. It seems that you're not far from a no-compromise solution, so I am suggesting of some (theoretical?) further improvements, irrespective of cost. And perhaps you could also consider changing the Trigon ECC83 with something better (again theoretically...).

Just my two pence -)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345