+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Origin Live Silver mk ii

I'm Alex.

Default Origin Live Silver mk ii

I've only ever had one tonearm on my deck; Micro Seiki MA-202. I'm now curious to try something else, not because I don't like how my system sounds at the minute, on the contrary I'm loving listening to my stereo more than ever, I feel like I just want to experiment. I've been offered the OL Silver for what seems to be a good price at £300.

Does anyone have experience of this arm on the Techie?

Should I be looking elsewhere to satisfy my curiosity?

I'm Geoff.

Nice arm the MA-202. It does nothing wrong. The OL will be different, but will it be an improvement?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Possibly not, it will give me an idea on what happens when a tonearm is changed. I think this would be very beneficial for me.

I'm Geoff.

I find Rega arms and their derivatives awkward on a Techie. The arm lift lever sits too low. it's a pain! Find some pictures and you'll see what I mean.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

The 1st arm I put on my Techie was the OS Silver, it worked very well and was only replaced because a member of this parish was selling a OL Encounter which is also based (very loosely) on a Rega arm.

A little tip, buy the Michell fixing nut, as this makes it far easier to hand tighten the arm to the deck. Over tightening the fixing bolt is not recommended by Rega or OL.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I've only ever had one tonearm on my deck; Micro Seiki MA-202. I'm now curious to try something else, not because I don't like how my system sounds at the minute, on the contrary I'm loving listening to my stereo more than ever, I feel like I just want to experiment. I've been offered the OL Silver for what seems to be a good price at £300.

Does anyone have experience of this arm on the Techie?

Should I be looking elsewhere to satisfy my curiosity?
    Yes, it works well. The mk1 was good, the mk2 is a bit better.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I find Rega arms and their derivatives awkward on a Techie. The arm lift lever sits too low. it's a pain! Find some pictures and you'll see what I mean.
    Never had that problem. I was using an OL armboard.
    Regards Neil

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Never had that problem. I was using an OL armboard.
    I also use a OL armboard and haven't had any problems with either OL arms.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread