+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntable upgrade, advice sought...

I'm Jim.

Quite coincidentally (honestly! as of only minutes ago) I will quite likely be selling my Kore (Rega version, for Nima) and Nima itself in a few days time (it looks like an Aro is coming my way, hopefully)

But on the “are the LP12 upgrades worth it?” question. As I said, I think yes (to a point – and you have to determine where that point is for yourself) if you decide to stick with the LP12, that is….. If you just want absolute sound per pound, then I would think something like a second-hand WTA would be very hard to beat.

And yes, I'd say Linn were really daft in naming their new mid-price tonearm "Akito II". Feels like the marketing dept. stuck a pencil in their eye with that one!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Are you able to say how much it acually weighs? I've seen conflicting info online. Most consistent seems to be 17kg but I've seen 20kg and one site I checked had around 30kg listed!

I only worry about the lack as I have 6 of them in a tier so the bottom one is holding all the weight of the others, although I've no idea how weight distribution actually works, I assume most of the support will be from the legs?
    I have no way of weighing them. It's definitely not 30Kg but might well be 20Kg and that should be doable on your table.

I'm Paul.

I agree with Jamie : go for an Ittok.
    It made a hell of a difference to the sound of my system and I am only using it with a P77, nothing fancy .. yet

It's a cheap upgrade, relatively speaking, and you can sell the RB on or keep it till you're sure you prefer the Ittok, at least.

I'm Jason.

If you like the Linn it might be worth talking to Inspire about their upgrades. I certainly wouldn't go down the Linn route as their prices are wayyyy OTT as far as I'm concerned, and I think there's better to be had with 'indies'.

My 'sweet spot' in LP12 ownership was indeed a pre-Circus deck with an Ittok - I think there's a synergy there that for me just worked, and my Linn never sounded the same after upgrades (Origin Live DC motor, OL tonearm) so I'd say if you like the Linn, money spent on a good Ittok with a nice MC cart would be a way to go. Whether or not it's the best sound you could get for the money is another matter...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Simon.

Yeah, have been looking at Ittok's but even those will set me back at least £500-600 in decent condition. They seem to hold their value well too as they were at a similar price when I was looking around 2010-2011 (when I was deciding what components to build the deck with).

The other issue I have is that my table seems to suffer from footfall (I say seem to because I don't think I can hear any ill effects - but the whole thing bounces with ease when walking upto the table to change sides). I think from my seating position it's fine though and probably why I can't hear any issues. Still, it makes me wonder whether I should move away from a suspended deck before I jump right in fully. I should note that I can't have it on a wall shelf right now as I'm renting.

Thanks for the info on weight of the NAS Dave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12