+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Entry level cable group test - AOS event 31-10-2009

I'm ILOB.

From my own experience of the balanced mains transformer I find that it best left running for one day before it really shines In my system it works but with all thing mains this will very; but at the event it was hard to hear a difference the music seemed a bit more vague to my ears without the transformer
    As for feedback from the cable test. Well pretty similar to what I heard at the event I really disliked the chord cable very messy made the music unpleasant to listen too
    The MAD cables were next and brought about a big improvement to the sound I still prefered Barrys cable it was the cleanest only slight critism compaired to my own silver cable a slight lack of clarity in the treble but I am being really picky.
    I did not hear the MAD Silver reference cables
    JJ also lent me his mains copper cables and they were pretty good
    On my power amp SAC KT88 it was a step backwards compaired to the silver mains cable I use
    On the CD transport hardly any difference but a lack of treble clarity
    On the DAC actually helped a lot it seemed to change the tonality of my system as for the last month my system has been sounding to dark in the mid bass system and helped the system to sound balanced again I cannot explain this but if anyone interested I will try and explain what is happening in more detail (i now use my silver mains not going through the the transformer and this gives me the sound i enjoy the most)
    Tim I do not think Transformer was the biggest upgrade but do think good mains is the foundation to a good sounding system and in my circumstanses this works well for me
    Last edited by John; 15-11-2009 at 10:33.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    Hi JJ

No screening can be a problem, it relies on the amplifier to reject RFI at any level. So we have an amplifier that we don't know if it is RFI immune and if the manufactures condone non-screened cables, and in my view a possible issue with the loudspeakers reactive load and the ability of the amplifier to drive it.

But yes, you are right, the sound was better than most at the last show. How people get away with that is a mystery!

I'm sure with a better amplifier and matched cables your loudspeakers would sound really rather nice. I hesitate to offer to bring the electronics next time..............

Regards

Dave
    Well! It would be great to demo the Royal Salute or Elgar with your Marantz 7 & 9 at a Hi-Fi show along with ANT + a good turntable, the MAD Queen cable & My Power Con. I can't imagine how good it can be. Last time it sounded best to my ears were with Unison Research SL9. Will you go to the London Hi-Fidelity Show 10?
    JJ

My Audio Design
    E-mail: sales@madengland.com
    Tel: 07782 137 868

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    From my own experience of the balanced mains transformer I find that it best left running for one day before it really shines In my system it works but with all thing mains this will very; but at the event it was hard to hear a difference the music seemed a bit more vague to my ears without the transformer.
    At the time when I put the transformer on and off, there were so many people talking and running around, also those little friends in your stomach were playing drums inside you and asked for King prawns...... Anyway, next time will be more structured. Perhaps just do the dem things at my place first, then we can walk up to Mr. Lee's new restaurant at Piccadilly Cirus.

I don't want to move tonnes of stuffs again!! There's no fun for that and the result was very unsatisfactory to me!!! I am a hopeless pervertionist!!! Sorry! I mean perfectionist! Anyway, obession obession and compulsion....this can heal!
    JJ

My Audio Design
    E-mail: sales@madengland.com
    Tel: 07782 137 868

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Home listening tests of interconnects FAO Marco

Hi Marco,

I believe that after the JJ listening test, conducted in London about three weeks ago, you took some of the cables back with you to listen in your own system. What were your findings? I, and I'm sure other members, would be very interested.

Come on, I'll let you off the Whittlebury Hall Audio Show report, if you will report on the cable testing in your system.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Hi Marco,

I believe that after the JJ listening test, conducted in London about three weeks ago, you took some of the cables back with you to listen in your own system. What were your findings? I, and I'm sure other members, would be very interested.

Come on, I'll let you off the Whittlebury Hall Audio Show report, if you will report on the cable testing in your system.

Regards

I won't, where is it?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL...

Barry, I should do a write-up on the cables JJ lent me. I'd get onto it when I get a chance

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL...

Barry, I should do a write-up on the cables JJ lent me. I'd get onto it when I get a chance

Marco.
    Great Marco,

I look forward to reading it. I'm supposed to be getting the MAD leads, and my own back, to try out in my system. (John, have you sent them off yet?) I'm hoping to do this before I see JJ at the next MAD fest, but I'll be pushed for time, as I shall be out of the country for about a fourtnight before then.

So, get writing; I'm intending to drop by on you in the New Year, so we will be able to compare notes.

As an incentive: no report - no decent bottle of wine when I see you! Now there's an inducement you can't refuse!

Regards
    Barry

LOL - how can I refuse now?

On the subject of wine, we took a trip to Shrewsbury today to our favourite wine merchants and stocked up on various goodies for Christmas...

http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/Tanne.../Bordeaux_Red/

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Marco, did you drink that Chateauneuf du Pape that I brought round? What did you think? I am not a wino so I have no idea about them.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Yes, Steve, and it was f*cking ace - many thanks, matey!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678