+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad ESL 57 problem

I'm Deano.

Default Quad ESL 57 problem

Hi guys my friend has recently bought a pair of 57s from a guy in Germany, they have been totally refurbished except the power units, and now for the issue on certain tracks wheather cd or vinyl the seems to be a quick shift in the sound from left to right as if, a balance knob was turned rapidly from left to right, this only occurs when there is a build up in the song, we have changed interconnects and also swapped out the power amp from the quad 606 to a 303 and the issue is still there, they crazy thing is at the exact same point on the cd or vinyl everytime, your views and knowledge is greatly needed please

Hifi consists of

Rega rp3
    Cambridge 650p phono
    Quad 606 power
    Rogue audio valve pre amp
    Quad ESL57s
    Audiolab cd player

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by British high fidelity View Post
    Hi guys my friend has recently bought a pair of 57s from a guy in Germany, they have been totally refurbished except the power units, and now for the issue on certain tracks wheather cd or vinyl the seems to be a quick shift in the sound from left to right as if, a balance knob was turned rapidly from left to right, this only occurs when there is a build up in the song, we have changed interconnects and also swapped out the power amp from the quad 606 to a 303 and the issue is still there, they crazy thing is at the exact same point on the cd or vinyl everytime, your views and knowledge is greatly needed please

Hifi consists of

Rega rp3
    Cambridge 650p phono
    Quad 606 power
    Rogue audio valve pre amp
    Quad ESL57s
    Have you tried swapping over the speakers? Does the effect remain the same, or does it move right to left? If the latter, then the problem lies with the speaker; though I can't think for the moment what that might be.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Clamp board?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Clamp board?
    Sorry clamp board what is that

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by British high fidelity View Post
    Sorry clamp board what is that
    They are a retro-fittable circuit fitted to the secondary side of the audio transformer, designed to prevent possible arcing and damage should the speaker be fed with a signal greater than 20V rms.
    Barry

I'm Deano.

OK can that cause this scenario

I'm Alan.

Yes but it would be a loud volume level. Does it happen when very loud?

I'm Deano.

Well when volume is at 1o'clock so quite loud

I'm Deano.

Also when he bought them apparently everything was replaced new except the power boxes, could this be the issue

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Does it happen when playing quietly?

As Barry said, swap the speakers to see if it pans the other way, then you know for sure it's the speakers.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast