+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: quad 306

I'm Hugo.

Having tried the Quad 306 without the 34 preamp, fed directly by the Naim DAC-V1, I can only agree with what's been said about the 34 pre-amp! Unshackled from the 34, the 306 is a big-hearted little thing, with noticeably deep bass. It soon becomes clear that bass control isn't exactly one of its fortes, since it's all a bit woolly and indistinct (compared to the Hegel H160), but it's certainly enjoyable and a true second-hand bargain at typically less than £200. I'll stick with the Hegel, though, since it has musical dexterity that the little Quad simply cannot match, and that matters to me.

I do wish more audio components were as neat and compact as the Quad 306.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Nice one Rupert !
    Yes much better sound results.

As nice looking as 34's are, they offer dismal sound reproduction.
    The best thing to do with a 34 is to convert it to be a LDR, I have
    already done this to 2 x 33's , but have a 34 that is gathering dust,
    a nice winter project.

Cheers / Chris
    Cool, keep us posted ! would you replace the whole PCB and use the 34's power supply ? And would you keep the tone controls ?
    I have one lying around as well btw. ;-)

All Best

Ru

PS "Winter project" ?? ah yes, you're on the other side of the Planet

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    The 306 is an excellent power amp,
    just tracked my QUAD, its out for delivery
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Shane.

Quad (IMO) make fabulous amplifiers. I still have happy memories of using the 405 poweramp. I've also owned a ''full monty'' NET Audio tweaked 405-2 back in 2010.

Might try another 405-2 again someday.

S.

I'm James.

ITS HERE!!!Attachment 16310Attachment 16311 TUNER? i have to admit i was a tad concerned when i saw thatAttachment 16312Attachment 16313Attachment 16314 i didnt realise it was so small, casework is in very good order, couple of nicks here but theyre only noticable if you get up close, and it works, hurrah
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm rupert.

coooool ! if you are handy with a soldering iron, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Quad 306 Upgrade and Revision Kit from Dada. All the best with your 306

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    coooool ! if you are handy with a soldering iron, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Quad 306 Upgrade and Revision Kit from Dada. All the best with your 306
    Rupert, i def wouldnt do it myself though i have heard upgrades can bring benefits , ill just enjoy for now, its early days of course but it seems to have good control over the little tannoys

I'm sorted.

Good little amp, had one for a while, looks like a nice clean example.

Still using Quad amplifiers (Elite monoblocks)

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I hated the bloody thing at the time, so limp wristed and lacking in any dynamics, and far far worse as a 34/306 pair (yes, I did compare them - grey button issue - side by side with a later equally grey buttoned 44/405-2), but this was at the time. As said earlier, modern caps here and there and gain tweaking in the preamp can work wonders for them though. The preamp supply caps leak though and MUST be replaced as the board can be damaged. The FM4 is a nice and neutral sounding tuner too and will definitely show up the horrible things the BBC and commercial stations do with compression
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The FM4 is a nice and neutral sounding tuner too and will definitely show up the horrible things the BBC and commercial stations do with compression
    commercials don't deserve proper hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast