+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quad 306

I'm James.

Default quad 306

morning all, any opinions on quad 306 power amp? i found one at a dealer £200 ,looks in good nick, will use to drive tannoy dc4t, cheers Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm rupert.

I'm a big fan of the 306. It has untapped potential when upgraded with modern components (cost around 70 EU and a little soldering) and it's built to last.

I'm Hugo.

Only yesterday I put my (Quad serviced) 34/306 into the system, to find out how they compared to the Hegel H160, using the same Naim DAC-V1 source and KEF LS50 speakers. The Quad combo sounded perfectly decent, nice and smooth but overall rather 'small' and musically a tad 'detached' compared with the Hegel, which is a model of control, power and musical dexterity. For what these Quads go for on the used market, they are underpriced bargains, but clearly shown the door sonically by a good modern design like the Hegel. I suspect that if the comparison had been with a new amp at £200, the Quad would have been preferred.

I'm James.

thanks for the replies,apparently the amp has been checked and serviced, i assume by the dealer,ive currently thrown my hat into the ring for a musical fidelity cr 3.2 so ill see how that goes first
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Only yesterday I put my (Quad serviced) 34/306 into the system, to find out how they compared to the Hegel H160, using the same Naim DAC-V1 source and KEF LS50 speakers. The Quad combo sounded perfectly decent, nice and smooth but overall rather 'small' and musically a tad 'detached' compared with the Hegel, which is a model of control, power and musical dexterity. For what these Quads go for on the used market, they are underpriced bargains, but clearly shown the door sonically by a good modern design like the Hegel. I suspect that if the comparison had been with a new amp at £200, the Quad would have been preferred.
    In my experience, it is the 34 that makes the 306 sound anaemic. Both my 34 and 306 where upgraded. But the 306 combined with a passive pre (i.e. just a potentiometer, LDR, etc.) really made it sing.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    In my experience, it is the 34 that makes the 306 sound anaemic. Both my 34 and 306 where upgraded. But the 306 combined with a passive pre (i.e. just a potentiometer, LDR, etc.) really made it sing.
    I've tried a 34 a couple of times and not been impressed. It reminded me of listening to an Audiolab amp.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    thanks for the replies,apparently the amp has been checked and serviced, i assume by the dealer,ive currently thrown my hat into the ring for a musical fidelity cr 3.2 so ill see how that goes first
    If the speaker sockets have been replaced with new binding posts, that's a sign that it's been updated - Quad do this by default, as well as the PSU caps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've tried a 34 a couple of times and not been impressed. It reminded me of listening to an Audiolab amp.
    I'll try again, using the Naim DAC as a pre directly into the 306!

I'm James.

The musi cal fidelity amp started to go daft so i bought the quad 306, quite giddy!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    Nice one Rupert !
    Yes much better sound results.

As nice looking as 34's are, they offer dismal sound reproduction.
    The best thing to do with a 34 is to convert it to be a LDR, I have
    already done this to 2 x 33's , but have a 34 that is gathering dust,
    a nice winter project.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    The musi cal fidelity amp started to go daft so i bought the quad 306, quite giddy!
    The 306 is an excellent power amp,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast