+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphone Amp and Dac for Raspberry Pi

I'm andrew.

Have you tried any of the other Pi DACS ?
    No I just had the Digi+ board into my own dac.
    Andy.

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive got the audiophonics one... betters the iq imo
    Which one Grant? there are a few on their website.
    Andy.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by museguy View Post
    Hi Everyone !

New to the forum. Setting up a desktop listening system.

Thinking:
    Wi-Fi > Raspberry Pi with Wi Fi >Volumio > Digi + > AK4396 Dac > Lehmann Clone

Would welcome any suggestions.

Trying to keep the costs down to less than $200 plus Raspberry Pi. Not sure if better to use Digi + and an inexpensive DAC or DAC + and a headphone amp.

One thought is Raspberry Pi > DAC + > Lehmann Clone

Also very interested in people using linear power supplies with Raspberry Pi / DAC +

Headphones:
    * Sennheiser HD650
    * Sony MDR-7506
    * Denon D2000
    * Fostex t50rp

Thank you !
    I'd suggest an IQaudio Pi DAC & case, into a Beresford Capella HP amp...I'm awaiting the new iFi pi PSU, so can't personally recommend that yet, but some well respected members reported good things in conjunction with an on-board I2S Dac

I also have one of the Audiophonics boards, albeit in a basic dogbone case, I have the rest of the components for the full case build...but it doesn't look as easy as I'd hoped

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...soldering-iron

I's very difficult to A/B test them, if there is a difference in SQ it's marginal, or one needs to be using better components than I'm using in my kitchen set up

I'd suggest either would not be a limiting factor in your desktop setup, and for the price difference you can get yourself an iFi Pi PSU...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

...PS

As of yesterday I've been using some new IPL M4 speakers in my kitchen setup...previously I'd been using an old pair of Mission 780SEs, which I'd had since the mid '90s.

I was forced (honest guvner!) into this, as I synchronise my living room and kitchen systems (SPTouch/piCorePlayer), and since I've recently upgraded my main speakers to IPL S5TLs the poor old Mission's were being exposed somewhat (the M4s share the same mid/tweeter drivers). Something I'd not actually considered beforehand...

All I can say is the speaker upgrade has revealed just even more of the IQaudio DAC (and Mini-1) combo's capabilities...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

Hi Will, are you running both your pi combo and mini 1 amp from the Anker battery? I have my pi combo connected to a Anker battery but I am still using the PSU with a sbooster unit for the amp, not sure if 12v from the battery would get the best out of the mini 1.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Hi Will, are you running both your pi combo and mini 1 amp from the Anker battery? I have my pi combo connected to a Anker battery but I am still using the PSU with a sbooster unit for the amp, not sure if 12v from the battery would get the best out of the mini 1.
    Hi Barry, we have the same configuration, I use the Mini-1 PSU (5A) in conjunction with an SBooster too, I doubt the battery has enough grunt for the Amp let alone both...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Barry, we have the same configuration, I use the Mini-1 PSU (5A) in conjunction with an SBooster too, I doubt the battery has enough grunt for the Amp let alone both...
    Strangely enough we also have the same case for the pi/dac combo.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Strangely enough we also have the same case for the pi/dac combo.
    ...classy and understated

And more importantly as it's in the kitchen...grease proof
    Cheers, Will

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I'd suggest an IQaudio Pi DAC & case, into a Beresford Capella HP amp...I'm awaiting the new iFi pi PSU, so can't personally recommend that yet, but some well respected members reported good things in conjunction with an on-board I2S Dac

I also have one of the Audiophonics boards, albeit in a basic dogbone case, I have the rest of the components for the full case build...but it doesn't look as easy as I'd hoped

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...soldering-iron

I's very difficult to A/B test them, if there is a difference in SQ it's marginal, or one needs to be using better components than I'm using in my kitchen set up

I'd suggest either would not be a limiting factor in your desktop setup, and for the price difference you can get yourself an iFi Pi PSU...
    Dear Will,
    Thank you for the suggestions ! Just looked at the Beresford Capella HP looks nice and at a good price. Yesterday found the new Audiophonics setup video looks interesting with a linear power supply.

https://youtu.be/o7v0J_CfpNY

All the best,
    - Mark
    Last edited by museguy; 25-02-2016 at 14:11. Reason: typo

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by museguy View Post
    Dear Will,
    Thank you for the suggestions ! Just looked at the Beresford Capella HP looks nice and at a good price. Yesterday found the new Audiophonics setup video looks interesting with a linear power supply.

https://youtu.be/o7v0J_CfpNY

All the best,
    - Mark
    Hi Mark I have to confess the Capella is the first non portable dedicated headphone amp I've had, so there will be other good options out there I'm sure, but it drives my AKG K702s very well, and they can be difficult to please...the damping and gain controls really come into their own. Oh and it matched the Caiman II it's partnered with
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast