+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphone Amp and Dac for Raspberry Pi

I'm Mark.

Default Headphone Amp and Dac for Raspberry Pi

Hi Everyone !

New to the forum. Setting up a desktop listening system.

Thinking:
    Wi-Fi > Raspberry Pi with Wi Fi >Volumio > Digi + > AK4396 Dac > Lehmann Clone

Would welcome any suggestions.

Trying to keep the costs down to less than $200 plus Raspberry Pi. Not sure if better to use Digi + and an inexpensive DAC or DAC + and a headphone amp.

One thought is Raspberry Pi > DAC + > Lehmann Clone

Also very interested in people using linear power supplies with Raspberry Pi / DAC +

Headphones:
    * Sennheiser HD650
    * Sony MDR-7506
    * Denon D2000
    * Fostex t50rp

Thank you !

I'm andrew.

I would be tempted to go the Pi +IQ dac board route with the iFi iPower psu, folks are reporting good results with this combo.
    I tried the Pi with Digi+ board into my dac (with the iFi iPower psu) and didn't get as good a result.
    Andy.

I'm Grant.

A low noise psu of any type will make the pi dac sing i think.. Pleased with my linear one.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    I would be tempted to go the Pi +IQ dac board route with the iFi iPower psu, folks are reporting good results with this combo.
    I tried the Pi with Digi+ board into my dac (with the iFi iPower psu) and didn't get as good a result.
    Thank you roob,
    Just looked at the IQ dac looks interesting, uses Texas Instruments PCM5122. The iFi iPower psu also looks good.

Are you using speakers or headphones ?

All the best,
    - Mark

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A low noise psu of any type will make the pi dac sing i think.. Pleased with my linear one.
    Dear struth,
    Thank you, which linear power supply do you use ? All of the ones I have found are very expensive.

Found this on ebay Linear Power

All the best,
    -Mark

I'm andrew.

Are you using speakers or headphones ?
    I was running the Pi and Digi+ into my main system, I tried the iFi Power psu but it didn't make any difference to my set up but other users on here who use the IQ dac report a good improvement over the stock psu. The linear psu you linked to does look interesting but you will need a mini usb adaptor to plug into the Pi, maybe the seller can supply one.
    Andy.

I'm Mark.

I was running the Pi and Digi+ into my main system, I tried the iFi Power psu but it didn't make any difference to my set up but other users on here who use the IQ dac report a good improvement over the stock psu. The linear psu you linked to does look interesting but you will need a mini usb adaptor to plug into the Pi, maybe the seller can supply one.
    Thank you Andy,
    It seems that you can solder a jumper onto the board and power the board directly:
    Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5C5oSs5ELk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L83EEDbAMJI

- Mark

I'm Mark.

Dear roob,
    Have you tried any of the other Pi DACS ?

Durio

Audiophonics

Thank you,
    - Mark

I'm Grant.

Ive got the audiophonics one... betters the iq imo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive got the audiophonics one... betters the iq imo
    Thank you !

- Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast