+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a dedicated mains circuit - questions

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by newtonnjd View Post
    Thanks both. I do understand what you're saying about the breakers negating the need for fused sockets. I just don't understand why Marco put such emphasis on a mains block with schuko sockets still having a single 13A fuse in its own lead - why would he not have said that this single fuse was also unnecessary? I can try to find one of his posts about it if that will help. Because he plugs the mains block with Schuko sockets into a conventional 13A wall socket.

Thank you for the link showing cable choices. So you would recommend buying my chosen cable from there? If it's about what I can afford, then even the 16mm is easily affordable on that site. For a single run out to a separate CU, would I need 4 core wire, or is 3 core enough?
    3 core will be sufficient (as I wouldn't want to rely on the steel armouring alone for the earth continuity conductor). No need to necessarily purchase the cable from the site cited; I simply provided the link so you could see the resistance/unit length and the current rating for various sized cables. Your electrician friend will be able to advise (as it is he who has to sign off any new installation for insurance purposes).
    Barry

I'm Nick.

Thanks Barry. Can I ask what type/brand of cable you used for yours and where you bought it?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I had a separate ring installed solely for the audio system, however since the listening/living room was close to the meter, the dedicated CU was installed alongside the existing CU. Cable for the ring is standard 2.5mm2 and the new CU is connected to the meter (via a Henley block) with 25mm2 cable.
    Barry

I'm James.

The best option IMO would be a variant of option C; that is to fit a 32A RCB alongside the CU with the tails of the former going direct to the meter (via a Henley block if necessary). Then run a 32A rated armoured cable out to your extension and thence to a separate CU, which in turn feeds the sockets. If you are feeling extravagent you could have each socket protected by its own breaker in the new CU. Again you have the same choice in which plugs and sockets to use.

The above is similar to what I have had done recently.[/QUOTE]

This is the only way to do it in my opinion. You must understand that the seperate CU is not linked to the house CU at all, rather the incoming house tails are split inside a Henley block. I'll dig out my thread if I can find it for you .
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm James.

This is what I have done in my house, it's my no means a reference, but it worked very well and was all signed off.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...w-mains-instal
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12