+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300B reccy's?

I'm Gary.

Default 300B reccy's?

Getting the 300B itch and wondering what folks have used and liked?

Currently using the Electro Harmonix Gold Grids, but thinking to upgrade.
    The 300B "magic" is there, but more to come Im sure with a better tube, which from reading around is quite do-able.
    The amps a good'un (Transformers, power supply etc) so should give me the benefit of a better valve.
    Not looking at WE's at silly money, thinking something more real world but a step up from the EH Golds.

Looked at Black Treasures, KR's, EAT's or a more expensive curveball... the Elrogs.
    Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Nick.

I know someone with a pair of 300A's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Western-E...3D110992150717

But more sensibly, the psvane 300b's are good.

As you were talking about them at the time, I intentionally built that amp to be kind on the 300b's, so you may want to consider mesh plate's as well.
    Nick.

I'm Gary.

Heh.
    I'd go for those Nick in a heartbeat, but I only need 2
    Good to know about the mesh plates, opens up the options.

Soecifically,
    would these play nice with the amp?

http://www.europeanaudioteam.com/en/...ve-000010.html

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/k...o-300b-balloon

or the curveball,
    perhaps not QUITE a 300B direct drop in replacement as it varys slightly from WE spec
    http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_No..._Datasheet.pdf

more infor on the Elrog valve, wrt its deviating slightly from the WE 300B standard.
    http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_No...ation_note.pdf

thanks.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-02-2016 at 16:27.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Clive.

I'm a bit out of date with the current crop of 300Bs. I have a number of pairs from around 14 years ago. The ones from my stash I really like are:

WE - sometimes I think I should sell these as they are still good and last a long time but I like them, they have that mid-range magic
    JJ - more "etched" sounding than WE, detailed rather than magical but still good depending on the sound you want
    TJ mesh - not so different in sound from the WE character, more subtle perhaps but more similar to WE than JJ

Out of these 3 I'd plump for the meshes as WE are crazy prices.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Heh.
    I'd go for those Nick in a heartbeat, but I only need 2
    Good to know about the mesh plates, opens up the options.

Soecifically,
    would these play nice with the amp?

http://www.europeanaudioteam.com/en/...ve-000010.html

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/k...o-300b-balloon

or the curveball,
    perhaps not QUITE a 300B direct drop in replacement as it varys slightly from WE spec
    http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_No..._Datasheet.pdf

more infor on the Elrog valve, wrt its deviating slightly from the WE 300B standard.
    http://www.audionote.com.au/Audio_No...ation_note.pdf

thanks.
    Electrically, yes, they should all be fine.
    Nick.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Electrically, yes, they should all be fine.

Cool, thanks for looking Nick.
    The last one is a bit of different design but "on paper" is a 300B replacement.
    Difference is this (according to the blurb..)

The thoriated tungsten filament
    --------------------------------------

The filament of the ER300B has been designed such that it is compatible to theoriginal 300B specification.
    In order to be able to use thoriated tungsten, some parameters needed to bedeviated from the 300B specs. These are plate resistance and amplificationfactor. Plate resistance is slightly taller. While the 300B specifies 700 Ohms, theER300B plate resistance is 950 Ohms. The amplification factor has been reducedto 3.3 from the 3.8 of the 300B specification. Since transconductance is directlyrelated to these two parameters the ER300B has a transconductance of 3300micromhos.
    This compromise was necessary to keep the original 5V @1.2A s

reccommend DC filament voltage over AC.

seem ok? No idea what it means!

Last edited by Gazjam; 23-02-2016 at 17:14.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yo daftee,

Why has this thread been posted in Blank Canvas?

Can you see from the room descriptions where it should've gone instead......... If you get the answer right, you'll receive a 'special prize' next time I come up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

I would say TJ Mesh plates too. I am not a big 300B fan, but the Mesh Plates I liked the sound off, back in the days I was in the retail trade and they were on Opera amps.

These guys are worth a ring as they often have valves in stock but not always on their site http://www.aa-acoustics.com/index.html at least that is how it used to be.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Did you move the thread, Daphne?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Cool, thanks for looking Nick.
    The last one is a bit of different design but "on paper" is a 300B replacement.
    Difference is this (according to the blurb..)

The thoriated tungsten filament
    --------------------------------------

The filament of the ER300B has been designed such that it is compatible to theoriginal 300B specification.
    In order to be able to use thoriated tungsten, some parameters needed to bedeviated from the 300B specs. These are plate resistance and amplificationfactor. Plate resistance is slightly taller. While the 300B specifies 700 Ohms, theER300B plate resistance is 950 Ohms. The amplification factor has been reducedto 3.3 from the 3.8 of the 300B specification. Since transconductance is directlyrelated to these two parameters the ER300B has a transconductance of 3300micromhos.
    This compromise was necessary to keep the original 5V @1.2A s

reccommend DC filament voltage over AC.

seem ok? No idea what it means!

Looks fine, The transformers are 3k5 so should be fine with that ra.
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast