+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME 3009 S2 - Additional counterweight advice for SPU GT

I'm Josie.

Default SME 3009 S2 - Additional counterweight advice for SPU GT

Hi all.

I've recently upgraded to an SPU GT. It has the step-up transformers inside.

The counterweight is currently hanging right at the end of the tone arm which isn't ideal so I'm looking to get an additional main counterweight made. I need some help in finding the correct additional weight needed.

My 3009 is the S2 unimproved version and so has one counterweight which has the rider weight arm included identical to this:

Although it looks like it splits, it doesn't, it's a solid weight.

Here is a page with a listing of weights.

1. counterweight of the 3009 R (including rider weight - one-piece-) - 118g
    2. additional weight to be attached to 1. - 64g
    3. additional weight to be attached to 1 - heavier, for SPU cartridges - 77g
    4. counterweight of the 3009 Series II (including rider weight) - 111,2g
    5. additional rider weight for 4. - 24,5g
    6. counterweight of the 3012 Series II (including rider weight complete with additonal rider weight 5.) - 169,8g
    7. counterweight of the 3009 Series II (old version, including rider weight)- 56,1g
    8. additional weight to be attached to 7. - 66,3g
    9. additional weight to be attached to 7 - heavier, for SPU cartridges - 88,6g
    10. same as 5..
    11. bias weight 3g
    12. bias weight 4,5g
    13. double bias weight - 5,6g

Ref: http://www.analogue-classics.com/htm...09___3012.html

My counterweight is No.4. What additional weight in grams would suit my SPU?

Any help/advice would be superb.

Many thanks
    Jo
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 21-02-2016 at 20:03.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

my improved one has a different weight.. I got a magnet the right size and attached it to the rear.. worked a treat too. might not be possible with yours though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Hi Grant... yeah, thanks, that won't work in my case.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Dave.

Just tape weight to your current counter weight until it balances where you want it to and then weigh all that.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm brian.

josie, I dont know what you need in terms of your Spu.

but i have numbers 4, 5/10, 7,8 and 9. Happy to weigh any, if of use to you . i would think number 9 is what you want and they sometimes come up on ebay.

in fact it may be useful to look for a split set. Ie 7 and 9.

adding the additional rider No. ( 5/10 ) to your current no. 4 may help you get the weight away from the very end of the stub.

I'm Andrew.

Don't mess around call speedy steve. My 3012 can now handle cart+headshell combo's upto 60g
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Many thanks guys... much appreciated.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    josie, I dont know what you need in terms of your Spu.

but i have numbers 4, 5/10, 7,8 and 9. Happy to weigh any, if of use to you . i would think number 9 is what you want and they sometimes come up on ebay.

in fact it may be useful to look for a split set. Ie 7 and 9.

adding the additional rider No. ( 5/10 ) to your current no. 4 may help you get the weight away from the very end of the stub.
    Brian
    I would like to buy your 4 & 5 if you wish to sell them ?. PM if you do
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I was going to suggest Speedy Steve, but once again, ever thought of asking SME for their advice? I'm sure a senior staff member may remember these arms and in any case, the 3009R had suitable counterweights for such a cartridge, so a more recent employee should know and advise..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

Now sorted... J7 made me one.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast