+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - Pheonix Engineering PSU + Tachometer

I'm Andrew.

Default REVIEW - Pheonix Engineering PSU + Tachometer

Just thought I write a few words with regards my latest toys. I've been banging on about getting an external PSU for the Garrard 301 for some time and after 2 years worth of research and speaking to numerous 301 Guru's (Audiograil, Dr. Bastin, Loricraft etc) I plumped for this combination. Shipping time was 5 days customs took nine days and charged my £150 import duty , costs all in was probably £600-700. This system is the 25W version and specially designed for TT's that need a bit of extra poke to get that platter spinning.

Diddy!.jpg

Setting was a doddle and took ~10 minutes. The tachometer takes ~1 minute to stabilise and then keeps the platter spinning rock solid at between +/- 0.001-2 RPM to 33RPM until you turn if off.

allthe3s.jpg

The PSU & Tachometer come extremely well packed and I'd give Pheonix 10/10 was the quality of the boxes/packing indeed each unit has an individual bespoke set of packaging. Truly excellent. The instruction manuals and short, sweet and straight to the point, again I have to comment Pheonix.

The PSU is built like a small tank and exudes quality, this baby pumps cleans your mains and pumps a healthy 25W into the Garrard.

TempPSUleads.jpg

The vast majority of the connecting leads are 3 & 5mm jack plugs which are all gold plated, this gained them some more browny points.

The system works by installing a small magnet beneath the platter a small PCB installed under the magnet detected platter speed and automatically corrects the platter so that it runs as close to 33.3333 rpm as possible. This was perhaps the worst part as I had to rejig and remount my Garrard 301's bearing by an additional 2mm this raised the platter and allowed the PCB to mounted near the magnet.

Sensor.jpg

The PCB has to be within 1/4" of the magnet otherwise it dosen't work and I must admit that I wasn't impressed with this area of the Tachometer's design. This is only a minor gripe and should not be taken out of context. The system is excellent and very easy to work with. So how does it sound? Well in a word, STUNNING! This system has really transformed my 301 listening experience. I was initially confronted with a leaner presentation to the music and couldn't quite understand why? It was only when I listened to several albums of piano music that the penny dropped. The pitch stability had improved no end and whilst previously I could hear instability in a notes decay I have to say that such a phenonomen had disappeared. My soundstage has an improved clarity and the 301 now seems better at placing and defining instruments in the soundstage. The soundstage has also deepened and become more 3D. The 301 really has come on leaps and bounds with this system. I would heartily recommend this system and you can transfer it to pretty much any deck. I do have two complaints. Firstly I think the buttons on the PSU and Tachometer could have been made from metal rather than plastic and secondly I did have to find a USA/UK plug converter (probably a couple of quid extra) to make the Tachometer work. If I'm spending £600-700 on a system some nice steel buttons and a cheapo plug converter wouldn't each too much into Pheonix Engineering's profit margin. The 25W version is only available directly from Pheonix but Bill who owns the company is very good at responding to emails. So, I'd give this system 9/10.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm scott.

Phoenix Engineering
    Eagle High Power Digital Turntable PSU 25W £ 379
    RoadRunner Digital Tachometer £ 165
    Package Deal
    Eagle + RoadRunner - Turntable Digital PSU & Digital Tachometer £ 519

I'm scott.

I'm Andrew.

Scott I'd already ordered and paid for the system otherwise If I'd have known you would have had a sale. I'd not seen that review before so it's nice to see that I agree with the other reviewer.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm scott.

very well designed piece of kit as you found out andrew
    client just fitted one to his £3500 VPI Prime & huge step up in sound quality to already very good sounding standard deck

once my 301 is rebuilt adding PSU & Tacho to mine
    Brings DD speed stabilty to belt & idler decks

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews...and-eagle-psu/

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...1b2E6QKxXI4.97

I'm Gary.

Interesting...

do-able on a Gyro you think?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-04-2016 at 14:47.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm scott.

Tacho fits any turntable
    PSU if your Gryo is AC motor

I'm Nick.

once my 301 is rebuilt adding PSU & Tacho to mine Brings DD speed stabilty to belt & idler decks
    Not strictly true. A stable 50Hz will help, which the PSU will do, but all the Tacho is doing is adjusting the 50Hz slowly to make the platter rotate at the target speed. A typical direct drive responds to speed variation every 20ms, this responds every 1.8 seconds.
    Nick.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Not strictly true. A stable 50Hz will help, which the PSU will do, but all the Tacho is doing is adjusting the 50Hz slowly to make the platter rotate at the target speed. A typical direct drive responds to speed variation every 20ms, this responds every 1.8 seconds.
    Still sounds bloody good especially when it's filetered through the P10 power regenerator enabling a decent stable 50hz (THD usually <0.1%) and all the DC crap filtered out .
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nick.

Still sounds bloody good especially when it's filetered through the P10 power regenerator enabling a decent stable 50hz (THD usually <0.1%) and all the DC crap filtered out
    I am sure it does, as I said, not saying its not a good idea, just the comparison with a direct drive is a bit bogus (not that you made that comparison)

I take it you are feeding the supply from the P10, not the other way around :-)
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast