+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I will be treating myself to a 301 later in the year.
    I am just waiting for one to come up at the correct price from a trusted vendor.
    I was doing the same but one came up yesterday at a tasty price with low hours so made an offer

I'm James.

Would like to know how the 301 compared to the ZU 103?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Would like to know how the 301 compared to the ZU 103?
    Waiting impatiently on postie

I'm Mike.

Ok it arrived safely this morning and I've fitted it to an AT MG10 headshell and have an Mpingo Ebony spacer in between so I can adjust the arm to level. It's supposedly done about 60 hours.

Comparing it to the ZU 103 and switching between the two I'm not sure about it to be honest, it certainly sounds warmer with a bit more punch on bass notes, it's maybe slightly less detailed at the top end, but the main difference is the loss of soundstage compared to the ZU 103.

I sit approximately 4m from my speakers and with my Zu I can stand up and immediately walk into the sound if that makes sense, seated, I can pick out instruments just off to the right and left, but with the 301 I need to move about 1.5m closer to get a similar effect.

The big problem is that I like the sound from the 301, but not so keen on the lack of depth from side to side and from front to back. I'm wondering if this can be improved at all?

The Zu is very 3D like in presentation but just lacks a bit of grunt/warmth for rock.

Using the Firebottle head amp on both carts, changes them a bit, the 301 becomes a bit more shut in but it seems to work fine with the Zu.

Switching both carts to go directly to my amps MC input sounds very good. The Zu improves with the Head amp into MM input, but the 301 sounds better direct to MC in the amp.

Confused, damn right I am, I'm going to have a serious listen over the weekend and see which way to go.

I think what I'm looking for is the detail and 3D soundstage of the ZU but the low end kick and warmth of the 301.

Possible?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I think what I'm looking for is the detail and 3D soundstage of the ZU but the low end kick and warmth of the 301.

Possible?
    Yes.

The answer looks like this:

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Bit of a conundrum Mike and as you say possibly the best cartridge would be a combination of the two?

What I liked with the 301 was the warmth and full bodied midrange and its easy musical nature. Might not be as detailed as the Zu as you said especially in soundstage but treble quality is very fine but a not in your face.

Did you notice how quiet it was. Get some old rough vinyl out and give it a spin and see what the 301 digs up!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes.

The answer looks like this:

Funny Geoff I was just looking at one of these. Have you got a second hand one you want to sell?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Have you got a second hand one you want to sell?
    Not a chance matey!

I'm hanging onto mine (and the other ZYXs).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

I am using the K&K SUT with mine Mike which may give quite a different presentation.

Sounding absolutely superb in my system just now with very wide sound stage and in fact it was the the 3D soundstage I first noticed with the 301 going from my previous MM cartridges.

I haven't heard the ZU 103 though.

Another on my list!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Try removing the spacer.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast