+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 138

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

  1. #21
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 3,163
    I'm James.

    Default

    Decided to change a few cables and lengths etc too and from the SUT. Wow the sound has changed and much for the better.

    The K&K SUT now sounds more dynamic and the soundstage a tad bigger. Glorious open sound with no grain at all, super smooth presentation especially on vocals. Bass is deeper and the whole sound is fuller.

    I must say the Denon 301 Mk2 now sounds absolutely superb!

    Can anyone tell me if this the affect of capacitance change on the cartridge loading or the SUT or both?
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

  2. #22
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: The Black Country

    Posts: 3,759
    I'm Alan.

    Default

    Any capacitance change on the input of the SUT, i.e. loading the cartridge, from swapping leads is going to have no effect, due to the change being small and the inductance of the cartridge.

    Capacitance change on the output however is going to have an effect due to the higher impedance on the output.

    It appears things are getting better and better

  3. #23
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,229
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Good stuff, Jim. I should've said that you should always keep the length of output cables, on SUTs, to an absolute minimum. In that respect, I use 0.5m cables, max. I was surprised that you thought your head amp was 'more dynamic' sounding than the K&K, implying that the latter was a little 'soft' in comparison.

    That really shouldn't be the case when set up has been optimised, so hopefully your cable rearranging has sorted that out

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  4. #24
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 3,163
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Any capacitance change on the input of the SUT, i.e. loading the cartridge, from swapping leads is going to have no effect, due to the change being small and the inductance of the cartridge.

    Capacitance change on the output however is going to have an effect due to the higher impedance on the output.

    It appears things are getting better and better
    Yes I think the cartridge has fully run in now and getting some very musical tunes out of it.
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

  5. #25
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 3,163
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, Jim. I should've said that you should always keep the length of output cables, on SUTs, to an absolute minimum. In that respect, I use 0.5m cables, max. I was surprised that you thought your head amp was 'more dynamic' sounding than the K&K, implying that the latter was a little 'soft' in comparison.

    That really shouldn't be the case when set up has been optimised, so hopefully your cable rearranging has sorted that out

    Marco.

    Yes the cable and has sorted the SUT for sure although I could probably use a shorter one going into the SUT.

    Dynamics are on a par with the head amp but I would say the SUT has less grain and a smoother sound than the head amp. Very musical and a superb match to the 301 - thanks for the help with that Marco!:

    Interestingly the difference changing the SUT gain level from 1:20 to 1:10 has made a huge difference. At 1:20 the 301 was difficult to listen too. My friend who also tried the SUT at both gain levels also found this to be the case even though technically his cartridge should have 1:26 gain!

    I am getting very beautiful music from this set up now -as you predicted!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-03-2016 at 14:39. Reason: spelling
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

  6. #26
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 2,497
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    I've just managed to buy a low hours one off eBay to try so I'm hoping for a similar result

  7. #27
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 3,163
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I've just managed to buy a low hours one off eBay to try so I'm hoping for a similar result
    Are you using a Head amp by any chance with the 301.?
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

  8. #28
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,229
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes the cable and has sorted the SUT for sure although I could probably use a shorter one going into the SUT.

    Dynamics are on a par with the head amp but I would say the SUT has less grain and a smoother sound than the head amp. Very musical and a superb match to the 301 - thanks for the help with that Marco!:

    Interestingly the difference changing the SUT gain level from 1:20 to 1:10 has made a huge difference. At 1:20 the 301 was difficult to listen too. My friend who also tried the SUT at both gain levels also found this to be the case even though technically his cartridge should have 1:26 gain!

    I am getting very beautiful music from this set up now -as you predicted!
    Just read this, mate. Glad it's all worked out well!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  9. #29
    Join Date: May 2012

    Location: Toulouse

    Posts: 3,877
    I'm GettingFunky.

    Default

    I will be treating myself to a 301 later in the year.
    I am just waiting for one to come up at the correct price from a trusted vendor.
    Kevin

    Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Techne-Audio modified DL-103/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU).
    Pioneer PD-S703.
    Battery powered Beresford Caiman II.
    Firebottle KIN fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Firebottle Monoblocks fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters.
    Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650.
    DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects.
    Talk cable 3 speaker cable.
    Neotech hybrid mains cables from MCRU
    Power Inspired AG1500

  10. #30
    Join Date: Mar 2014

    Location: KY - Scotland

    Posts: 2,497
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Are you using a Head amp by any chance with the 301.?
    I've just received a loan of the Firebottle one, so hoping the cart arrives before I need to pass it on.

    It's certainly sounding good with my Zu 103 and mm input on my amp, I'm hoping for more of the same if not better with the 301. I have a new headshell to try with the 301 that won't accept the 103 due to no through thread on the shell.

    I'll update once all setup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •