+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm James.

Initial impressions going from the 2M to the 301 is the lack of resolution and micro detail. Midrange and bottom end nice.
    The 301 really brings out the soul of the singer on vocal material. Instruments are more fully fleshed out with 'more meat on the bone' as you said Marco.

However I am missing the top end detail of the 2M. The absolutely quite surface noise from the 301 is amazing. I have never heard a cartridge produce such little clicks or pops. If vinyl annoys you because of this, BUY this cartridge!

It is a very easy listening cartridge which turns in a great performance especially considering its price, less than half the 2M.
    But I do miss the resolution and live acoustic the 2M delivers.

I don't think I have changed my opinions of the 301 and enjoy its musicality but it begs the question should I try a DL S1, its bigger brother which from memory had everything including fabulous detailed insight.

How would you describe the sound of the DL S1 Marco as you have lived with it for a long time and have a much clearer understanding of what it can do compared to the short periods I have listened to it?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Jim. You're essentially describing the classic trade-off between an Elliptical and Shibata tip, but also the 'house sound' of both manufacturers concerned, as the voicing is rather different.

The DL-S1 is a different animal, and has the weight and richness of the DL-301, but also incredible midrange fluidity, and a sweeter top-end than the Ortofon, but just as refined and extended. It's also kind to surface noise, like the 301.

I also think it would work well on your VPI. If you can find one, I think you'd love it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Initial impressions going from the 2M to the 301 is the lack of resolution and micro detail. Midrange and bottom end nice.
    The 301 really brings out the soul of the singer on vocal material. Instruments are more fully fleshed out with 'more meat on the bone' as you said Marco.

However I am missing the top end detail of the 2M. The absolutely quite surface noise from the 301 is amazing. I have never heard a cartridge produce such little clicks or pops. If vinyl annoys you because of this, BUY this cartridge!

It is a very easy listening cartridge which turns in a great performance especially considering its price, less than half the 2M.
    But I do miss the resolution and live acoustic the 2M delivers.

I don't think I have changed my opinions of the 301 and enjoy its musicality but it begs the question should I try a DL S1, its bigger brother which from memory had everything including fabulous detailed insight.

How would you describe the sound of the DL S1 Marco as you have lived with it for a long time and have a much clearer understanding of what it can do compared to the short periods I have listened to it?
    I have a DL-S1 and it is without doubt the best sounding cartridge I have owned/heard. Marco has nailed it's qualities.
    I have a Croft 25RS/7 mono amp so very similar to you.
    However, FWIW it only really gives of it's best when partnered with an appropriate SUT. I initially used a Denon AU-320 with good results but since partnering with the Denon AU-S1 (made for each other) it is truly awesome. So a word of warning - if you go down the DL-S1 road you might want to factor in a AU-S1 in the future - just saying
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm James.

Steve/ Marco,

Thanks for your encouraging words regarding the DL S1. I appreciate the recommendation about partnering with an appropriate SUT. I have a very nice K&K SUT (thanks Marco) which works well with the 301 and can be reconfigured to work with the lower output of the DL S1. However I believe Marco gets the best out of his with a good head amp. I would certainly consider your route Steve with the Denon SUT.

Now just need to find a reasonably priced DL S1!

I am seriously considering this MC because I have heard it and it was truly superb and the memory of its performance was quite profound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Kevin.

There is a rebuilt one at North West Analogue, not that I should tempt you.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    There is a rebuilt one at North West Analogue, not that I should tempt you.
    Think it's sold Kev

No worries, James. However, my advice would be only to buy a bonafide, untampered with, DL-S1, otherwise it simply won't be the same. It's almost certainly going to involve importing from abroad, mostly likely Japan or the US, so you'll have to factor in the cost of tax and duty.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

No idea how good this used one is, but look at the price!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENON-DL-...0/192349235502

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

The word USED worries me especially at £1000 I think I would rather wait for an unused one to surface or buy from a known seller with an impeccable background

I have seen new boxed DL S1's appear occasionally. Would be nice if Denon started making them again!

Yeah, I totally agree. You need to keep looking though, and nab one as soon as it shows up!

I'll keep an eye out for you, too

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415