+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm Ken.

The MC20 Supreme arrived this morning, fitted and working very well, so I won't be pursuing Alan's 301 Blackstar.

blackstar Guest

Thanks Ken; I'll get hold of Alan (unless you have already told him).

I'm Ken.

I'll drop him a PM.

I'm Alan.

Blackstar
    If you are still interested its yours PM me your address

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

blackstar Guest

Hello Alan, I've PMed you.

I'm Dimitar.

Guys, I just had several hours on 301 mk2. And I can say, it's a good cartridge, but I kinda miss the strong treble (that I had with the AT cartridges). Even I set the preamp to MC 1KOhms, still not bright enough.
    The treble is very delicate.. I don't say it's dull, but I think it should be more.

Do you think it will open when the cartridge breaks-in?

technics sl1210 mk2, with rewired tonearm and firm funk achromat mat, stock headshell.
    Preamp: Ifi IPhono 2. Denon tracks at 1.4g with 2.0 antiscating.

I wait for the oyaide headshell leads, maybe this would help. But for now, I think high end is just not open enough.Another thing I intent to do is to replace the headshell with Sumiko HS-12, but I'm afraid the resonance will drop under 8.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    Guys, I just had several hours on 301 mk2. And I can say, it's a good cartridge, but I kinda miss the strong treble (that I had with the AT cartridges). Even I set the preamp to MC 1KOhms, still not bright enough.
    The treble is very delicate.. I don't say it's dull, but I think it should be more.

technics sl1210 mk2, with rewired tonearm and firm funk achromat mat, stock headshell.

I wait for the oyaide headshell leads, maybe this would help. But for now, I think high end is just not open enough.Another thing I intent to do is to replace the headshell with Sumiko HS-12, but I'm afraid the resonance will drop under 8.
    I had a Dl304 (?) Which was stunningly transparent and detailed but it too lacked that AT treble. I know what you mean but i think the Denon sound is more balanced rather than completely open. Might just be my experience but that's what i thought at the time

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

The treble does not really get any more pronounced, it is rather delicate although the detail is there just not in your face. I feel this is partly due to its heritage coming from the Denon 103 background. The Audio Technical cartridges will be much more prominent in this area. If you want well balanced strong treble maybe try a 2M black or if you want spine tingling supercar performance try a Decca.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dimitar.

I believe 2m black is not a good match for my stock tonearm. And on the other side, I prefer MC carts.
    I like how warm is the denon, maybe it's a break-in stuff, I'll wait till it get to 50 hours.
    Exactly - highs are not in your face, actually with this cartridge nothing is in your face

I'm James.

I believe 2m black is not a good match for my stock tonearm. And on the other side, I prefer MC carts.
    I like how warm is the denon, maybe it's a break-in stuff, I'll wait till it get to 50 hours.
    Exactly - highs are not in your face, actually with this cartridge nothing is in your face
    It's a cartridge you can listen to for very long periods without fatigue. I particularly like its midrange, warm and rich.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast