+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm James.

A few thoughts on the 301 Mk2 before I try the K&K SUT. I am currently using the Firebottle Head amp.

My system has never sounded this good!

The 301 is glorious, it has all the top end info you could want with a magnificent midrange / lower bass. The texture this adds to instruments is fabulous. If you want to hear bottom end tonal quality and balls this is a cartridge worth considering.

I know where your coming from now Marco with the Denon sound.

In terms of VTA, this cartridge likes dead flat / horizontal tonearm and tracking at 1.55g.

I honestly can't think of one area I could improve on as the 301 integrates with my system so well. Wish I had tried one of these years ago.

One more observation - this cartridge although MC I think bridges the gap between a MM and a MC. It does not sound all airy fairy detail at the top with little at the bottom. It has the balls of a MM with the tonal textural properties of an MC .
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Jim. You've pretty much nailed it, mate. That's exactly how Denon MCs sound, and why I love and prefer them to most other types, simply because in the right system, they get the tonal balance/musicality factor spot on!

Enjoy, but trust me, as good as what you're hearing things are now, when you pop the K&K in, there'll be a lot more 'grinning time' to come....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    this cartridge although MC I think bridges the gap between a MM and a MC. It does not sound all airy fairy detail at the top with little at the bottom. It has the balls of a MM with the tonal textural properties of an MC .
    Which MCs are you referring to James? The majority I've used have as substantial a sound as any MM I've come across. Only two exceptions I can think of are the Denon DL-304 and Transfiguration Aria, which are very sweet, but don't exactly do body and scale too well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Which MCs are you referring to James? The majority I've used have as substantial a sound as any MM I've come across. Only two exceptions I can think of are the Denon DL-304 and Transfiguration Aria, which are very sweet, but don't exactly do body and scale too well.
    Some of the Audio Technicas and Dynavector MC,s I have heard have sounded like this but to be fair I can't be sure they were optimised with the correct SUT/ loading or preamp.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Jim. You've pretty much nailed it, mate. That's exactly how Denon MCs sound, and why I love and prefer them to most other types, simply because in the right system, they get the tonal balance/musicality factor spot on!

Enjoy, but trust me, as good as what you're hearing things are now, when you pop the K&K in, there'll be a lot more 'grinning time' to come....

Marco.

Its the tonal balance and musicality that has impressed me most. Even on bright steel stringed guitar tracks it has dug out a tonal depth I did not know exist and has shifted the whole tonal spectrum down a notch therefore sounding more full bodied, less bright but much more agreeable.

There isn't anything missing at the top but the midrange body is captured in a much more convincing way.

If I can improve on this with the SUT then I will be extremely happy.

I'm Steve.

Jimbo/Marco
    As you both are familiar with the Denon, how would you say they compare with an AT33ptg/ii or AT OC9/iii? Jimbo you mention AT carts so guess you meant one of these and I know Marco is familiar with them both also.

All this talk has intrigued me. I don't think I can afford a DL S1 even if I could find one but the 301 are easily sourced and are relatively cheap.

Do either of you have an opinion on how it would suit a Funk Firm F5 arm?

I'm Geoff.

Try and get a listen to a ZYX R50 Bloom H. It will outperform anything I've heard at anywhere near the price (under £450) and is cheaper than the DL-S1.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try and get a listen to a ZYX R50 Bloom H. It will outperform anything I've heard at anywhere near the price (under £450) and is cheaper than the DL-S1.
    Hi Geoff
    The ZYX carts have also intrigued me. Too many options......

I'm James.

Hi Steve,

I have not heard the AT cartridges in my system but elsewhere and I have found them a bit more explicit towards the top end and the expense of the midRange/ bass so they have come across a little thin in my opinion.

Not heard the ZYX but would like to try one, it was a little out my price range at the time but in 12 months I may go there as I believe Geoffs assessment would suggest it a very worthwhile MC to listen to? I have a feeling that it may well be better than a DL-S1 in my system but that is open to question.

I am sure the 301 Mk2 will be ok with your Funk arm.

I'm James.

A little black box has made its way into my system, a big thank you to Marco for making this available.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It is the K&K Audio SUT. Initially I tried it with the gain set at 1:20 but this proved to be too much and incompatible with the Denon 301 MK2, however gain has now been adjusted to 1:10 ratio and it suits the 0.4mV output of the Denon much better.

The first thing that comes across using the K&K SUT is its ease and transparency. The soundstage is open and detailed with enough bite and grunt in the bass to make a convincing integration in my system. Vocals are particularly well portrayed with a natural unforced full bodied presentation.

I was expecting less weight to the sound than a head amp but it is nearly there, however there is a slight lack of dynamics but nothing unduly so. I would say the top end is slightly rolled off but again it is not lacking in detail.

The openess of the sound, transparency and very good midrange make this a very easy to listen to SUT which works very well with the Denon 301 MK2.

Marco has reviewed this SUT at greater length elsewhere and I would certainly agree with his synopsis. Certainly very good value for money and easily recommended.

There is however something else on the horizon which I have a feeling will release the full potential of the Denon 301 and maybe bring even more to the party. This is Firebottles fully realised Head amp. I have had a taste of it with his prototype which I must say is at least as good as the K&K SUT.

It will be interesting to hear how the finished article works with the Denon 301.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast