+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm Dimitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It's a cartridge you can listen to for very long periods without fatigue. I particularly like its midrange, warm and rich.
    Indeed, it's extremely warm. I don't think 2m black is so warm. I kinda like to have everything from both worlds

I'm Dimitar.

Actually, after many listening tests, I discovered that the Achromat Mat is reducing the treble... very strange.
    I made both recording with stock mat, and with the achromat mat, and seems like the problem is coming from the mat.
    I gave the rips to several friends, they all like better the stock mat recording.
    Is this normal?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mindarelus View Post
    Actually, after many listening tests, I discovered that the Achromat Mat is reducing the treble... very strange.
    I made both recording with stock mat, and with the achromat mat, and seems like the problem is coming from the mat.
    I gave the rips to several friends, they all like better the stock mat recording.
    Is this normal?
    There's nothing normal about TTs mate lol what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

I have my turntable on an original Sound Organisation rack, one of the original shelves was lost in house move. I made another one to sit the turntable on, after listening for a while there was something missing.

The shelf I made was MDF 13mm thick.

I swapped shelves putting the TT on an original shelf, which I believe was MDF with a sort of film applied, overall 10mm thick.

Difference was marked, tighter deeper bass, overall presentation more focussed.

TT's defy understanding.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I have my turntable on an original Sound Organisation rack, one of the original shelves was lost in house move. I made another one to sit the turntable on, after listening for a while there was something missing.

The shelf I made was MDF 13mm thick.

I swapped shelves putting the TT on an original shelf, which I believe was MDF with a sort of film applied, overall 10mm thick.

Difference was marked, tighter deeper bass, overall presentation more focussed.

TT's defy understanding.
    As you have found out Gary, the effects of different materials and positions has a marked sonic effect on turntables performance. The ultimate is an air table and everything you can do to isolate your table from unwanted resonance will improve its performance. Worth experimenting with different materials and isolation components.

I use a combination of a compact laminate material sitting on Sorbothane pods on a wood table which sits on a concrete floor. Does a very good job but I know I could do better if I put more effort in.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dennis.

Though a little involved, I have found that using thinner MDF layers bonded with PVA produced a much more damped and lossy shelf, and is brilliant in cabinet walls. Low Q result.

I'm Dimitar.

Ok, right now I really feel this cartridge is not so much on the high end of frequencies.. 1Kohms loading 60db gain. It's pros are: really warm, very good bass and mid range. Great tracking and the only problem is.. it's kinda boring, the music doesn't get you so much.
    But I guess I will search another option to make vinyl rips, because I would like to transfer my collection to digital.
    Still I need some more hours to make 50 hours to break-in, but I'm not sure if it will change.
    I also so another thread in vinyl engine forum, a guy is complaining for the same thing:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=19&t=62293

If anyone knows how to increase the highs.. I tweaked it like you wouldn't imagine, but could not make it sound engaging.

blackstar Guest

Adjust VTA?

I'm Dimitar.

Yes, the most strange thing is I didn't notice any change while adjusting VTA from 0 to 6 on the 1210MK2.
    Maybe I will have to observe the spectograms of the sound.
    Tried every VTF from 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6. To me, best sound was on 1.5
    Tonearm wires replaced, the headshell leads.
    One major difference was made, after I changed the stock headshell with AT MG-10. The bass became so deep, and that's the best part of this cartridge and the mid range. But still, the highs are kinda dark.

I'm Dimitar.

Guys, one stupid question I guess.. After increasing the VTF to 1.8 the DL 301 MK2 actually started to sound the way I want it to sound. Is it too bad to be over the recommendations? I guess it will shorten the life of the cartridge, but isn't it more important to enjoy it while listening?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast