+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon 301 mk2

I'm James.

Decided to change a few cables and lengths etc too and from the SUT. Wow the sound has changed and much for the better.

The K&K SUT now sounds more dynamic and the soundstage a tad bigger. Glorious open sound with no grain at all, super smooth presentation especially on vocals. Bass is deeper and the whole sound is fuller.

I must say the Denon 301 Mk2 now sounds absolutely superb!

Can anyone tell me if this the affect of capacitance change on the cartridge loading or the SUT or both?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

Any capacitance change on the input of the SUT, i.e. loading the cartridge, from swapping leads is going to have no effect, due to the change being small and the inductance of the cartridge.

Capacitance change on the output however is going to have an effect due to the higher impedance on the output.

It appears things are getting better and better

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good stuff, Jim. I should've said that you should always keep the length of output cables, on SUTs, to an absolute minimum. In that respect, I use 0.5m cables, max. I was surprised that you thought your head amp was 'more dynamic' sounding than the K&K, implying that the latter was a little 'soft' in comparison.

That really shouldn't be the case when set up has been optimised, so hopefully your cable rearranging has sorted that out

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Any capacitance change on the input of the SUT, i.e. loading the cartridge, from swapping leads is going to have no effect, due to the change being small and the inductance of the cartridge.

Capacitance change on the output however is going to have an effect due to the higher impedance on the output.

It appears things are getting better and better
    Yes I think the cartridge has fully run in now and getting some very musical tunes out of it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, Jim. I should've said that you should always keep the length of output cables, on SUTs, to an absolute minimum. In that respect, I use 0.5m cables, max. I was surprised that you thought your head amp was 'more dynamic' sounding than the K&K, implying that the latter was a little 'soft' in comparison.

That really shouldn't be the case when set up has been optimised, so hopefully your cable rearranging has sorted that out

Marco.

Yes the cable and has sorted the SUT for sure although I could probably use a shorter one going into the SUT.

Dynamics are on a par with the head amp but I would say the SUT has less grain and a smoother sound than the head amp. Very musical and a superb match to the 301 - thanks for the help with that Marco!:

Interestingly the difference changing the SUT gain level from 1:20 to 1:10 has made a huge difference. At 1:20 the 301 was difficult to listen too. My friend who also tried the SUT at both gain levels also found this to be the case even though technically his cartridge should have 1:26 gain!

I am getting very beautiful music from this set up now -as you predicted!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-03-2016 at 14:39. Reason: spelling

I'm Mike.

I've just managed to buy a low hours one off eBay to try so I'm hoping for a similar result

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I've just managed to buy a low hours one off eBay to try so I'm hoping for a similar result
    Are you using a Head amp by any chance with the 301.?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes the cable and has sorted the SUT for sure although I could probably use a shorter one going into the SUT.

Dynamics are on a par with the head amp but I would say the SUT has less grain and a smoother sound than the head amp. Very musical and a superb match to the 301 - thanks for the help with that Marco!:

Interestingly the difference changing the SUT gain level from 1:20 to 1:10 has made a huge difference. At 1:20 the 301 was difficult to listen too. My friend who also tried the SUT at both gain levels also found this to be the case even though technically his cartridge should have 1:26 gain!

I am getting very beautiful music from this set up now -as you predicted!
    Just read this, mate. Glad it's all worked out well!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

I will be treating myself to a 301 later in the year.
    I am just waiting for one to come up at the correct price from a trusted vendor.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Are you using a Head amp by any chance with the 301.?
    I've just received a loan of the Firebottle one, so hoping the cart arrives before I need to pass it on.

It's certainly sounding good with my Zu 103 and mm input on my amp, I'm hoping for more of the same if not better with the 301. I have a new headshell to try with the 301 that won't accept the 103 due to no through thread on the shell.

I'll update once all setup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast