+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loss of sound from right speaker

I'm Richard.

Default Loss of sound from right speaker

Hi all,
    I am having a problem with my virtually new Pioneer PL-30 auto turntable,(I know but it's all I can afford at moment),it loses it's sound from the right hand speaker.
    It started happening about a month after purchase so it's still under guarantee,now the problem is I get no sound from the right speaker, just a hum which gets louder or softer with the volume control,if I keep removing the headshell and replacing it again,(several times),I eventually get sound back to both speakers and the hum goes.
    When there is no sound to the right hand speaker apart from the hum it gets worse if I move my hand closer to the headshell and less when I move my hand away.
    If I turn the deck off after a session then use it again later the same problem is there again,no sound,just a hum from the right speaker,eventually clearing after removing and replacing the headshell several times.
    I did return it to the place of purchase but on test the defect didn't appear,(typical),of course once back home the defect was back again.I have gone to the trouble of getting a second amplifier and set of speakers and the defect is still present somewhat proving that it's the turntable and not my equipment.
    I suspect that the problem is in the headshell although I can't see any problems,also I have reversed the RCA cables on the amp but still no sound from right speaker,so any ideas of what to try next.

I am taking back to Richer Sounds next week but I want to try everything first so any advice,(apart from the tip),would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm Dave.

It does appear to be the headshell connection to the arm or wiring in the headshell. Check that all tags are firmly in place and try cleaning the pins on the headshell connector and those inside the arm. Also, gently push the sprung loaded pins inside the arm as they sometimes stick and make a dodgy connection.

Having said that, if you swop the arm cable, the faulty channel should move from right to left but you say that it stays on the right. Do you have two problems ?

I'm Richard.

Hello Dave,
    Thanks for reply,yeah I had a senior moment there,if I switch the rca cables on the amp,red to white and white to red it switches to the left speaker,but since posting the defect hasn't returned.
    So any idea's, headshell or tone arm?

I'm Richard.

Morning all,
    After a lot of unplugging and checking the headshell pins and the tone arm last night I got it working as it should with sound coming from both speakers.
    This morning on a short test run once again I lost the sound to the right speaker,on changing over the RCA cables at the amp the defect swapped over to the left speaker,would this likely to be the headshell?
    On a visual check all the wiring in the headshell seems fine so I'm now stumped as to what else to try,any ideas?

I'm Dave.

Sometimes, the joint between the sprung pins in the arm collar and the contacts on the headshell do not connect properly. So, try moving the pins in and out and wipe the headshell contacts. If that doesn't work, then take the turntable back to whence it came.

I'm Grant.

Would appear to be a bad wire somewhere on that side. Need to check everything on that side minutely ... If detatchable headshell then the connections there too. Could have a bit of cable worn through and touching a metal part also...bad rca cable
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Sometimes, the joint between the sprung pins in the arm collar and the contacts on the headshell do not connect properly. So, try moving the pins in and out and wipe the headshell contacts. If that doesn't work, then take the turntable back to whence it came.
    Hi Dave,
    I'm going to try that,when I screw the headshell back on the tonearm it doesn't feel like a smooth connection,the last few turns of the collar to fully tighten it up feels rough,like it's not connecting smoothly to the tone arm,hard to describe,it just feels different to my Technics sl-d2.

I'm Dave.

As it's a new purchase and you have proved the fault is somewhere in the turntable section by swopping leads, I would suggest you return it to the dealer for a replacement.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Would appear to be a bad wire somewhere on that side. Need to check everything on that side minutely ... If detatchable headshell then the connections there too. Could have a bit of cable worn through and touching a metal part also...bad rca cable
    Hi Grant,
    I have checked as much as possible,shouldn't be any wear on the cables as it's only 3 months old.
    As for the rca cables unfortunately I can't do much about these as they are hard wired to the turntable so I can't swap them with another set.
    Thanks for trying to help.
    Once I get this sorted out the turntable is going to be sold on,I bought it relying on past experience with Pioneer,unfortunately modern doesn't necessarily mean better.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    As it's a new purchase and you have proved the fault is somewhere in the turntable section by swopping leads, I would suggest you return it to the dealer for a replacement.
    Will do Dave,the bloody thing will most probably work properly the first time they,(Richer Sounds),test it like it did before,but this time I'll ask them for a longer test run,perhaps keep it for a couple of days.
    Gonna stick to my retro Technics,35 years old and still perfect,(for now).

+ Reply to Thread