+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DIY 13A Power cord

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos-UK-2016 View Post
    Hello Simon,
    It all depends on the diameter cable that you are using, and the gauge of the the conductors?

Couple of things you can do. Behind the cable strain there might be a little hex area that you can file away with a round edged file, to match the width of your cable. What is the diameter of your Belden cable? BUT I would really recommend buying an IEC plug designed to fit the diameter cable that you are using, it is much SAFER.

It is a very bad idea to force each cable in separately, as you may strip the cable (in time) and expose the wire. You need to use the main insulation (the one that goes over the 3 cables) in between the winged strain, that will give you two layers in between the winged cable strain, and offer the correct amount of strain relief.

If you cable doesn't fit, then get a plug that does fit that diameter cable SAFELY. If you are confident with your DIY skill, use a file to file down the cable strain wing to match your diameter cable.
    Make sure you leave it nice and smooth. If you use cable cutters to snip the wings to a smaller size, BE CAREFUL not to leave a sharp edge on the plastic (That type of plastic is quite dense & hard, and if you leave a hard sharp edge in the opposite direction of a hard cable pull, you run the risk of cutting into your cable insulation over time).

I think you are better off buying an MS HD or Furutech UK plug, that is more expensive, but really designed to fit large cables SAFELY. This looks suitable (previously recommended by Mark) http://www.hificollective.co.uk/powe...wer_ms328.html

I have been modding lots of IEC & mains sockets over the last few weeks (12 to be precise). I have experimented with 6 different brands of IEC connectors, all similar in style & size to the Kaiser C13 IEC & even though I have been very careful & done a really good job on making them fit large diameter cables; I have decided NOT to use them based on the fact that 'They were not designed the take that gauge & weight wire and ARE NOT SAFE.

I would really recommend getting an IEC C13 connector plug that is designed to fit & take the strain of the larger diameter power cables. It really isn't worth the risk.

The cheapest IEC C13 plugs I use (but are still GREAT QUALITY are these £7.50 delivered) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261606656667
    I use them with Belden 12mm diameter cable, but they take up to 17mm diameter.

I bought some of the RED 12mm Belden cable from MCRU (mains-cables-r-us.co.uk), and phoned and asking them to send me a suitable IEC plugs to fit large diameter cable like the one purchased from them. They sent me one, promised it would fit, but even after cutting LOADS of it away, the cable was bulging the case open. It was just a waste of money based on BAD advice, and really wasn't safe.

With all of the DIY stuff, even simple mains power plugs & cables, it needs to be SAFE and designed to be FIT FOR PURPOSE. I really can't stress this enough (based on my past experience in product design)

Carlos
    great complex reply Carlos

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the input guys. Are there any other plugs which will accept 10mm+ cable other than the MS HD Power? I've got one of those already as needed to fit 2 lots of cable inside and they are great quality and size but at £30 each, are very pricey to replace all my stock cables with.

I did buy some MCRU Ref. plugs but David sent me some MK toughplugs instead as no stock of the Ref. plug currently. Might see if I can get these exchanged.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456