+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 13A Power cord

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The best plug is no plug (or sonically degrading 13A fuse)... Hard-wire where possible and practical!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

And safe and legal - of course .
    Account Deleted

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I'm pretty sure your balanced mains unit cost more than this plug though
    Ha ha, yes, certainly it did and it's the Belden mains cable I used for it's supply lead. I think what I am trying to say is that I finally have arrived at a point where I am very happy with my system, so now I am trying to polish my own turd, and the addition of the Airlinks BPS has made a remarkable difference which I particularly like, even with all the mains cables after the attached distribution block being bog standard kettle leads. To other readers, I would just like to encourage them not to spend volumes of money on connectors before considering getting the very best they can afford in terms of main components in their systems. Fancy cables should be the very last consideration IMHO. By the way, my Airlinks BPS was second hand at £200. It's made a massive difference to sound presentation and far more than two or three Furutec 13 amp plugs might make. Old old story, get the priorities right.

Marco makes a very very good point, albeit, safety has to prevail.

I'm Brian.

I've also reached a point where I'm very happy with my system by using '' expensive '' plugs and cables Never spent £200 on any of them though . Yes I do own one of these plugs and the reason I bought it was because the cable I use to feed my mains block was too thick for an ordinary plug . The Furutech plug fitted the bill perfectly .
    Don't get me wrong , I heard the effect one of these BPS units made at Garys place when Ali brought his over and plugged it in . It wasn't subtle . This was long before they bacame popular on any of the forums ( much kudos to Ali Tait ) The problem is my listening room has nowhere to put one of these things and TBH I wouldn't feel particularly happy about having one in my home . Just a ''gut '' feeling on my part.
    I respect your opinions on all things hifi Greg but I'm afraid '' turd polishing '' is going to continue at brian mansion for the foreseeable future mate . Well at least until Saturday when I win the lottery
    Last edited by brian2957; 17-03-2016 at 22:53.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Carlos.

Thanks Guys, this is a useful thread, and it encouraged me to start to gather the right information to also assemble a DIY power cables too.
    I was looking to see what the next step up from the Belden 19364 cable might be (If any of you guys have some suggestions, would be appreciated?)

Anyway, so far thanks to AOS & Google, I have got my Belden cable shortlist started, and I have ordered this new Belden 19364/83803 Combined cable.
    I've included a link to the 3 Belden cables that I had 'shortlisted'

BELDEN 19364 SHIELDED MAINS POWER CABLE £5.95 PER METRE
    - ebay link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150872772623

BELDEN 83803 AUDIOPHILE MAINS POWER CABLE £23.50 PER METRE
    - ebay link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150869246453

BELDEN POWER CABLE 19364 | 83803 COMBINED DESIGN MCRU EXCLUSIVE | £15.00 PER METRE
    - ebay link here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351203220557

Here is the info on the differences:
    The belden 83803 is a close 2nd to the 19364 and uses a slightly different construction this high-quality power cable has become the leading wire for high-end custom-designed power cables.
    Belden 83803 is a 12 AWG cable that features (7x20) tinned copper conductors, Teflon insulation, 100% Beldfoil Shield with 85% tinned copper braid shield and a Teflon jacket.
    Now MCRU brings you a genuine new Belden cable that combines the best qualities of 83803 and 19364. this cable has been manufactured by Belden USA and is a cross-breed of the 2 best selling Belden mains power cables. 11.5mm outside diameter.

This 'new' combined Belden cable is constructed from 3 x 2.08mm sq (14 AWG) oxygen-free copper conductors and incorporates the patented Beldfoil® Shield (which is in constant contact with the internal drain wire). This forms a ground loop to trap unwanted mains interference and keep it safely at the plug end of the cable, away from interaction with any equipment.

Well that's all so far, any other cable suggestions? (I have ordered some of the 'new' Belden 19364/83803 Combined cable, so I will update and let you guys know my impressions)

If you guys are interested I'll put some info on the UK mains plug & IEC connectors, that I have already ordered? The IEC connectors were a really good price (I'll know more once I can inspect the quality of the contact connections).
    Last edited by Carlos-UK-2016; 22-03-2016 at 12:26. Reason: smaller images

I'm Carlos.

Smile

Just so I can do some sort of check my existing cables & DIY cables, I ordered a Supra LoRad Test Pen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MGUXGWQ

I could not find a lot of info on this, but thought it would be worth the risk of £20; I will report back after it arrives & I get a chance to look at it.
    There was a little more info on it here: http://www.supracables.co.uk/mainsca...orad-spec.html

I was wondering if this Test Pen might be useful to you guys?

Also was hoping that those of you , who are more experienced (than me) might know of a device to check for DC polluting the AC (if that is possible?) ?
    Last edited by Carlos-UK-2016; 19-03-2016 at 20:04.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The best plug is no plug (or sonically degrading 13A fuse)... Hard-wire where possible and practical!

Marco.
    This ^^

Great post Rikardo1979, with good photos showing how the mains cable construction, will be helpful for a lot of folk I'm sure.

2 wires into one plug?
    Bunch of big Jessies...

...yes, this is a work in progress photo

Big shout out to Marco for his reccy of Nexans solid core mains cable...sounds way better than anything Ive had in previously.
    Its all you said it was mate.

In my own setup my mains cable install is totally "fit n forget" with all cables cut to the exact length and the solid core cable is clamped off behind my rack, so its not moving anywhere.
    Stranded mains cable is obviously more flexible, so if your plugging and unplugging a lot I'd definately go for stranded cable as solid core can break easier and is not as practical.
    For myself, in my own setup, and having tried more mains cables in my system than Im happy to mention I find solid core to sound better.

Just as a sideline, those interested in going beyond choosing mains cables and further maximising their mains should look into the work done by a guy called Roy K. Riches from a few years back.
    This guy really knows his stuff.

As always, safety first folks.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-03-2016 at 17:55.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotlake View Post
    Ha ha, yes, certainly it did and it's the Belden mains cable I used for it's supply lead. I think what I am trying to say is that I finally have arrived at a point where I am very happy with my system, so now I am trying to polish my own turd, and the addition of the Airlinks BPS has made a remarkable difference which I particularly like, even with all the mains cables after the attached distribution block being bog standard kettle leads. To other readers, I would just like to encourage them not to spend volumes of money on connectors before considering getting the very best they can afford in terms of main components in their systems. Fancy cables should be the very last consideration IMHO. By the way, my Airlinks BPS was second hand at £200. It's made a massive difference to sound presentation and far more than two or three Furutec 13 amp plugs might make. Old old story, get the priorities right.

Marco makes a very very good point, albeit, safety has to prevail.
    Yup, have an Airlink blanaced mains setup myself Greg and it made a helluva improvement.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Carlos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    This ^^
    Great post Rikardo1979, with good photos showing how the mains cable construction, will be helpful for a lot of folk I'm sure.

In my own setup my mains cable install is totally "fit n forget" with all cables cut to the exact length and the solid core cable is clamped off behind my rack, so its not moving anywhere.
    Stranded mains cable is obviously more flexible, so if your plugging and unplugging a lot I'd definately go for stranded cable as solid core can break easier and is not as practical.
    For myself, in my own setup, and having tried more mains cables in my system than Im happy to mention I find solid core to sound better.

As always, safety first folks.
    I have to say THANKS to Rikardo1979 (Richard), your post got me started thinking about all my mains cables, so I bought a LoRad cable tester & was surprised that every cable in the house was not properly shielded.
    So I just started making up my DIY Belden cables (spurred on by your success).

I used the slightly thicker 11.5mm Red Belden cable (£15 a metre), it was a bitch to fit them into a plug, the conductors are SO thick I had to use pliers to bend them into shape so that I could screw them down. About 2 hours in I had thoughts that I had made the wrong decision using such a thick cable with stiff conductors (I almost gave up), it even took me about a minute just to cut through the damm cable.
    Anyway, I kept going, and plugged in the cable from AC regenerator to Tube amp, and....

Bloody Hell !!! I really never thought it would make that much of a difference, but at slightly louder than normal levels my amp seems to come alive, the whole range seems to gave been effected (especially in low to midrange, much fuller).
    I am over the moon, my amp has just been given a major upgrade.
    THANKS again Rikardo1979, Gazjam, and others... these DIY threads have really got me hooked on this AOL forum
    Last edited by Carlos-UK-2016; 31-03-2016 at 19:09.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You lot scare the bejesus out of me with those mains cable ideas. Next minute you'll be building a power station next door purely for your stereo's and be comparing nuclear generated to coal and gas fired.... By the way, the fruity loopy Enid Lumley clained to do just that in Absolute Sound mag some years ago.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast