+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iFi iPower for Raspberry PI

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post
    Please report back here with your findings - looks interesting and a price more in line with the Pi itself. I've seen people selling linear power supplies for it, but at over £200, which, to me, seems bonkers when the Pi itself just costs £30.
    Why? It depends on how much you want to push the idea. If you spend £30 on one thing and £200+ on a PSU you can still save a lot of money over buying an off the shelf £500 - £1000 cd player/streamer of which the Pi+DAC can knock the socks off.

I personally judge the Pi/IQDAC as a giant killer but only with the right PSU.

Regarding the new wall wart, well even if it's only a little better than the Pi one then that's got to be a good thing.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Rob.

I'd prefer to just use an Anker power pack instead - that's in line with the cost of the Pi and does the job of improving its sound when I want to listen critically to music streamed via the Pi. At other times I live with a standard USB power supply.
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm rupert.

sorry, but to me it looks like an overpriced and repackaged "made in China" walmart charger. They don't even even mention the Amps it is supposed to output. If you are prepared to pay that much, then there are better options with linear PSU's on ebay like this one (random search on ebay).. you'd need to adapt the cable or make a jumper from micro USB to Jack but that's not a big deal but at least it is a proper PSU.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post

sorry, but to me it looks like an overpriced and repackaged "made in China" walmart charger. They don't even even mention the Amps it is supposed to output. If you are prepared to pay that much, then there are better options with linear PSU's on ebay like this one (random search on ebay).. you'd need to adapt the cable or make a jumper from micro USB to Jack but that's not a big deal but at least it is a proper PSU.
    +1
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Richard.

Much more information about the iFi power adapter here: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/
    Output current is 2.5A for the 5V version so more than enough for an Rpi setup.

No idea how good these things are but I love to give these things a go, so I'll take a punt on one and report back. I already have an Anker battery which works well that I can compare it against. It'll be interesting to see how things stack up between this, a standard wall wart the Anker battery and eventually, a Paul Hynes PSU...

I also notice that the Amazon seller is MCRU, so I would imagine these little units come recommended and have to be worth a try on that alone...
    Last edited by lovejoy; 17-02-2016 at 16:10.
    Rich

I'm andrew.

You got me thinking now maybe I shouldn't have bought a psu from a company with a proven track record in ps solutions via a reputable UK reseller and I should have gone for a cheap no make linear Chinese psu that's probably full of fake parts, probably measures worse than a wall wart and could burn my house down
    Andy.

I'm rupert.

ha ha, where is the real technical data ? all i see are jet fighters flashing by.. whatever is inside those chargers, they are overpriced.. but hey believe what you like

The central characteristic of iFi is in pursuit of the zenith in audio performance: it leaves no stone un-turned.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post
    I'd prefer to just use an Anker power pack instead - that's in line with the cost of the Pi and does the job of improving its sound when I want to listen critically to music streamed via the Pi. At other times I live with a standard USB power supply.
    Hi Rob,

I think you'd change your mind rather quickly if you heard what my RPi is producing with a Paul Hynes SR3DR linear PSU!

There's simply no comparison between that and the Anker, of which you mention, which I've also heard. As Jo correctly points out, thus partnered, the RPi/IQ Audio DAC can compete, sonically, with multiple-thousand pound music streamers, where essentially one is paying for a 'badge' - and *that* is precisely why it's worth spending the money necessary on such a PSU.

Honestly with this stuff, I've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rob.

Marco

I'm not convinced that such a linear PSU for the Pi would make a difference to my setup. I'm using my Pi with the galvanically isolated version of the Digi+ board, then feeding a Caiman II. Perhaps someone could lend me one to try? I'd be happy to be convinced, but £200 is a significant punt on something that might make no material difference.
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm andrew.

I have the same Pi setup as you Rob but outputting to my Chevron Sabre dac, I also doubt spending a few hundred quid on a fancy psu just for the Pi is going to make a big difference in this context.
    Andy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast