+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Cartridge less clinical sounding than a 2m black?

I'm Ben.

Default MM Cartridge less clinical sounding than a 2m black?

Hi folks,

I've had my 2m black on for a good few weeks now and whilst I can appreciate that it is a fabulous cart (certainly head an shoulders above anything I've had before) I am beginning to think sometimes that its not quite what I want in terms of sound. Its very clinical and digital like at times and I think maybe I would favour something slightly less so, something with a touch more warmth to it.

So if I was looking to change cartridge again what should I be considering.........? I don't mind buying 2nd hand, though can only spend what I sell the 2MB for (£280 ish??) and has to be MM only due to my phono stage.

I hear mention of Nagoakas but have never listened to one, I liked my Goldring 2500 a lot and part of me wishes I had just replaced the stylus on it now rather than going down the 2MB route

But anyway id appreciate any ideas you guys have before I decide where / if I go to next.

cheers

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Dave.

The 2M range are a bit thin sounding, so the Nagaoka and Goldring models you mention, with their more full bodied tone, might well suit.

Others to consider are the Rega Exact and some of the vintage models which Marco mentions from time to time.

I'm Kevin.

The AT150MLX or a Nagaoka MP-150 or MP-200
    The MP-150 I have for sale would probably do the trick and leave you cash to spend on Vinyl.

Another option is the SAE1000 in either E or LT flavours. A nice sounding HOMC.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Stephen.

If you can find one I'd suggest a Reson Reca - a Goldring that's been tweaked. I had one - sounded very nice (likely nicest of all my MM's apart from my AKG P8ES supernova) but in the end the finer clarity and detail of "going MC" won me over
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Peter.

I'd recommend the Audio Note IQ2 or 3.
    I had the IQ3 at the same time as a 2M Black, and kept the AN. Better tone, body, and integration, but still had all of the detail of the Black, without throwing it in your face in that clinical / etched way. Wish I still had it ... super mm cartridge.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The 2M range are a bit thin sounding
    Accurate sounding; I would say.

I'm James.

Well Ben, if you can find a Shure M55e cartridge body and stick a Jico SAS stylus in it you will have something that approaches the 2m Black but without the clinical etched sound.

It will cost you about £180.

I have both cartridges but it is the M55e/Jico SAS the one that I prefer as it marries the body and musicality of the M55e with the precision and insight of the Jico SAS stylus.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ben.

Thanks for all the replies so far dudes. Certainly giving me some food for thought.......
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well Ben, if you can find a Shure M55e cartridge body and stick a Jico SAS stylus in it you will have something that approaches the 2m Black but without the clinical etched sound.

It will cost you about £180.

I have both cartridges but it is the M55e/Jico SAS the one that I prefer as it marries the body and musicality of the M55e with the precision and insight of the Jico SAS stylus.
    That's the description I was looking for!
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Sean.

Three vintage options that fit your description:

JVC Z1 w/ Jico SAS - The SAS brings out the absolute best of this cartridge. It combines speed and detail with a weight and richness that I just love. Oh, and the dynamics are startling. A body can usually be had for about $50.

A&R P77 w/ Jico SAS - Great bass, sweet & weighty mids, nice highs. Very musical cartridge.

Ortofon M20FL - Organic, organic, organic. Needs around 400pF to be at its best but its best is quite good.

Search Audiogon Forums for these cartridges for lots of info and much better descriptions than I've given here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast