+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first Technics T..... The Technics-ST-8077K

I'm Neil.

Default My first Technics T..... The Technics-ST-8077K

Hi Guys

I have now become a Technics owner...it begins with a T but its not a Turntable but a Tuner.

As some of you are aware I have embarked on gathering up a number of 70's Japanese Tuners, and as part of my tuner survey/write up/review, I have been able to get one of these a Technics-ST-8077K. This dates from 1978 and was part of Technics Pro range. Its designed for rack mounting and my sample had no feet..(if you get one then stick on feet are what you will need).

I had not intended posting to many details about my write, before I publish it, but there is one of these on E-Bay at the moment, and my preliminary listens are very favourable indeed...so if you need a slim line tuner which sounds very good then you might want to have a punt at this one.

The Technics-ST-8077K is not particularly pretty and its a wee bit awkward to use...small controls and tuning knob, but its sound quality more than makes up for this. This opinion is not definitive in context of my up coming write up (its only a preliminary opinion), but the Tuner Information Network like it, and its quite far up their own review/shoot out list.

I will add photos later that I have crabbed off the net.... Thanks go to Gordon for the Technics.

Link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-ST-80...item2ea8ac6cf1)

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Never heard one in a decent system, but I did spent a while fiddling with the tuning knob of one once! - the centre tune indicator system is quite clever, but I prefer a needle. Despite being skinny as hell as Technics were prone to make 'em then, it's a pretty big unit I seem to remember (well, wide anyway).

Good reputation though.

By the way, watch for the small push buttons - some Technics units of that time didn't take kindly to careless prodding of buttons. They sometimes went in & stayed in! Take care to push straight in & not too hard!
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 28-10-2009 at 18:26.

I'm notAlone.

Some nice images here : http://www.audioinnovationen.de/html..._st-8077k.html

With an original (and funny) blue tuning button !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Some nice images here : http://www.audioinnovationen.de/html..._st-8077k.html

With an original (and funny) blue tuning button !
    OK - you can see the centre tune LED's there on the first & second photos - the green ones either side of the indicator. They point in the direction you need to tune & then I thought I remembered them going out when you're on centre, but looking at that piccie, maybe they both light up, I dunno, it was a while ago now!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    OK - you can see the centre tune LED's there on the first & second photos - the green ones either side of the indicator. They point in the direction you need to tune & then I thought I remembered them going out when you're on centre, but looking at that piccie, maybe they both light up, I dunno, it was a while ago now!

Hi Chris

No they both go out.

Thanks for the warning about the buttons, they are a wee bit to small. Thank goodness this one has a black tunning knob....blue yuck. Yes I agree about VU meters, but this was jumped on because of its supposed great sound. So far I have to agree it sounds very good.

Yes its quite wide and deep but very short. Fantastic build quality and heavy.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread