+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The High Power High Tower at Gong Towers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    So a blind punt then it's always great when that works out. The Yanks go nuts for them. I've noticed.

BTW If you ever want to move that Pioneer on you know where I am

I'm Michiel.

Very nice gear Robert! Is that a Micro Seiki arm on your 1210?

I couldn't help noticing that the subsonic filter on your Sansui is turned off. Have you ever tried it turned on? I own an Accuphase E205 and it also has a subsonic filter. In my experience it really cleans up the lower registers when playing vinyl records. Since I also use a REL subwoofer, this effect was quite noticeable. Tighter bass and less 'unrest' caused by slight record wobble and low-frequency groove noise etc. And in my case, the use of this filter doesn't affect the sound negatively at all. Maybe it's worth a try?
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

I'm Robert.

Thanks Michiel, Your Accuphase E-205 is a very well regarded piece of kit, that much I do know
    Yes that is indeed a Micro Seiki arm and a joy on the modded Techie.
    The sound is pretty much excellent at the mo', no bass boom to detect but I will flick the old subsonic filter switch and listen keenly - it cant hurt so thanks for that

I'm Michiel.

You're welcome. I'm curious about your findings. Not that I experienced any kind of bass boom without using the filter, just that when switched on the whole background became a lot more quiet. At first I thought I was hearing less bass, but when listening well I noticed it was tighter bass, not less.

Micro Seiki has made very well crafted arms (and turntables as well). If I'm correct it's the MA-202, isn't it? Build quality is a lot better than my REGA-derived OL-1, I think. That one doesn't even have VTA adjustment in it's original form and the added VTA adjuster can't be set on the fly. In that respect, the original Technics arm is also superior to the OL-1. Also VTF adjustment is a pain in the neck with the modded counterweight. Fortunately, it sounds very very good, way above it's class, and that why I'm very happy with it. But to be honest, if I were to do it again I think I would go for another option like your Micro Seiki or maybe a modern SME.
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12