Thread: The High Power High Tower at Gong Towers

I'm Robert.

Default The High Power High Tower at Gong Towers

Technics SL1210 MK5g - (Modified)

Sansui AU 919 Integrated

Pioneer PD91 Reference CDP

Mission 752 Freedom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 14-02-2016 at 16:14.

I'm Alan.

Hows that Robert? Copy the image URL then paste into the 'Insert image' function above.

I'm Robert.

Bless ya Alan, very much appreciated

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looking good, Rob, and by all accounts sounding it, too!

Just one thing... It's probably just the angle of the picture (and it's often difficult to tell with S-shaped arms), but is your tonearm a little 'tail down':

Have you checked it with a bubble level (placed on the headshell)?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Hi Marco, Yep, slightly tail down. Obviously initial set up is towards as perfectly horizontal as pos. However, you'll find that the sweet spot with the QB / Shibata stylus profile is a slightly negative rake. Someone else here posted that they too found this to be the case which wasn't a surprise as I found this with the 2M Black as well. It's why I wont be without on the fly vta as after everything else has been covered there's nothing better than being able to dial the all important right spot / sweet pot whilst listening
    Btw - Thanks for the heads up regarding the Missing Link unswitched socket and plugs which are excellent

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, matey. If it sounds best that way, then best it is

Glad that the Missing Link sockets and plugs worked out well... Enjoy yer choons!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

MMMMMmmm... Nice!

A PD-91 too, a smashing player. I've had one and would have another too!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Martin.

Not sure whether I'm drooling over the Sansui or the Pioneer. Or both.

Almost certainly both.

Did you have a listen to that Sansui before you bought it, Robbie? If I wasn't sorted for amplification I be tempted to have a go at one, or an Akai or JVC from similar era.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure whether I'm drooling over the Sansui or the Pioneer. Or both.

Almost certainly both.

Did you have a listen to that Sansui before you bought it, Robbie? If I wasn't sorted for amplification I be tempted to have a go at one, or an Akai or JVC from similar era.
    Hi Martin, I'd never heard the AU 919 before but had a hunch it was the one for me. I was determined to nail something a bit special and after doing loads of my own research I sensed this was the one to seek out. Hand on heart it is absolutely everything I hoped it would be. I have never heard an amp sound so good with tone defeated, it's amazing. It is in my opinion a genuine Reference amp, the search is over

I'm Martin.

So a blind punt then it's always great when that works out. The Yanks go nuts for them. I've noticed.

BTW If you ever want to move that Pioneer on you know where I am
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast