+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Out on an Ipod?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Digital Out on an Ipod?

OK, so "conventional wisdom" is that to bypass the DAC on an Ipod, you need to buy a Wadia 170i "Transport" - Apparently, Apple have licensed bypassing their own DAC, and manufacturers have to pay if they want to do it? Reading the press this month, Onyko are the latest company to come up with a dock that bypasses the ipod DAC, at a lot less money, but still £150. (The Wadia is £350 ish)

My theory though, is that I am already achieving this, without spending a penny more on any kit that I don't already have, and given that we are talking Apple, the most unlikely contributor to this is Microsoft!

My Xbox 360 has the ability (with a free Microsoft download) to play Apple ipod files (AAC) as well as MP3 - when the ipod is connected via a USB port to the the 360. As the 360 is only connected to my amp via the Toslink connection to my Beresford Caiman, then how can this arrangement be anything other than a "Digital Media Transport ipod Doc" (to quote Onyko) - I defy you to prove me wrong! There's no logical way it can be anything else, is there????
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

What you have is an iPod as a storage device on your playback system, not a direct digital feed from your iPod to the DAC and so on ....

The device playing the tunes is the PS3, not the iPod.

If you can control which track you play from the iPod directly (to DAC) then that is a different matter.

Do you have the ability to play ALAC files ? Personally I wouldn't bother with AAC or MP3 unless I had to.

If this response seems to be nit-picky I apologise, but in this case the devil really is in the detail.

Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Chris, no need to "apologise" - I was just throwing this "out there" to see what response there is, so thanks for replying!

I've not ripped to ALAC or FLAC, preferring the "quantity over quality" approach with my ipod (all I really ever use it for is train journeys, offline work (rare) and the odd hotel stay) - so from my point of view this is academic anyway!

But - I am struggling to understand the difference - if "The device playing the tunes is the PS3" (xbox, but PS3 will probably work too) and I am then taking an optical feed to the Caiman, surely I am bypassing both DACS and using the Caiman - haven't I achieved the same thing as a Wadia/Onyko "transport"? (Not being difficult, just trying to understand if my logic is skew whiff!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

i dont see the point in these docks at all! there was one in a hifi mag recently some stupid amount of money like £750 or something. to get the best out it youhave to install rockbox on the ipod and then put flac on the ipod (something that drains the ipod battery so much that it makes it barely portable!) you are then limited by thesize of the hdd on the ipod ... even the largest 120 gb units being used up very quickly with flacs... its like no one has actually thought these things through at all! maybe its just me??
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    maybe its just me??
    Nah, that's kind of my point above - the whole purpose of a portable is that you use it when you can't access your normal system, surely? You will be happy with lower quality at the bus stop/in the car/in the office, and then play the "proper" version at home - CD, Vinyl, Tape or lossless digi file?
    Alex

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What you have is an iPod as a storage device on your playback system, not a direct digital feed from your iPod to the DAC and so on ....

The device playing the tunes is the PS3, not the iPod.
    That strikes me as the more likely method of operation. The PS3/Xbox is accessing the files and creating the digital output to the Dac, and as we all know (don't we?) bits it's bits.

The Onkyo solution looks like a good option for a secondary, part-time system somewhere.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.