+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #3) – Mark Levinson, Antony Michaelson, Dr.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agree with everything you say. Indeed it is a travesty that Blumlein is not better known. EMI (for whom Blumlein worked), has a lot to answer for in that regard.
    But maybe not as much to answer for as the dickhead who collected up most of the known info on Blumlein, interviewed his widow and colleagues, made pleas in the electronics press for people to send him anything they had on Blumlein... and then did now't about it in spite of public shaming over the affair for 20+ years. He died without publishing anything. Thankfully someone else then managed to get hold of all his notes etc and wrote the book the world of electronics had been waiting for

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are audiophile mains leads designed? If anything, they are carefully chosen cables available "off the drum" and fitted with good quality connectors.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, no. I'm rather fond of Mozart, and not much of a Quo fan!

Marco.

I'm sure if there had been hitherto unknown properties to a mains cable then one of the luminaries on the list (especially Blumlein!) would have found it.... not to mention all the other geniuses working for the likes of Hewlett Packard, Marconi, EMI, NASA, Philips, Sony, Fermi Lab, M.I.T etc Maybe audiophiles discovered gravity waves years ago but were too busy cleaning "Jazz at the pawnshop" to tell anyone?

But we're getting off topic now

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    Great to see Joe Curcio on your list, Jez.

I still have a couple of his hybrid jfet/valve line stages and his re-working of Hafler's Dynaco ST 70. I built it more than 20 years ago from his article in one of the first issues of Glass Audio.

One of these days I'll bring it to NEBO.

Gordon
    Hi Gordon. I'm sure plenty of us will take you up on that one!

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I know this is just a click bait to get folks on to Hi Fi Answers web site but..... Anyhow...

As you touch on, it is impossible to make a real list of great amp designers because the majority were/are back room technical people who never saw the limelight... But, a few do deserve mention and I will also mention that a few you named definitely don't! Antony Michealson is no amp designer for a start and Julian Vereker can hardly be called an amp designer for copying an application note.... good business men yes.

Here's some of the real greats in no particular order:

Alan Blumlein
    James Bongiorno
    Peter Walker
    Mike Albinson
    Aubrey Sandman
    Susumu Tanaka
    Tim de Paravicini
    Doug Self
    Arthur Bailey
    Peter Baxandall
    David Hafler
    Nelson Pass
    John Curl
    Joe Curcio
    John Linsley Hood
    Erno Borbely
    Malcolm Hawksford

Apologies to the ones I've inadvertently omitted and some big names deliberately not there as they were primarily business men not designers.
    No mention (yet) of Colin Wonfor nor Bob (Robert) Stuart? Had the original interview taken place when I became reconnected with CW I'd have certainly included him in the designer heroes-I-have-met.
    Well, hello.

I'm Jez.

Stan Curtis added.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post

I'm sure if there had been hitherto unknown properties to a mains cable then one of the luminaries on the list (especially Blumlein!) would have found it.... not to mention all the other geniuses working for the likes of Hewlett Packard, Marconi, EMI, NASA, Philips, Sony, Fermi Lab, M.I.T etc Maybe audiophiles discovered gravity waves years ago but were too busy cleaning "Jazz at the pawnshop" to tell anyone?

But we're getting off topic now

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck View Post
    No mention (yet) of Colin Wonfor nor Bob (Robert) Stuart? Had the original interview taken place when I became reconnected with CW I'd have certainly included him in the designer heroes-I-have-met.
    I was going to mention Bob Stuart, but didn't as I thought you had already included him in you interview. The same for Stan Curtis.
    Barry

I'm Gordon.

I think Siegfried Linkwitz should perhaps be on your list, Jez.

I wonder how many speakers use his crossovers (developed with Russ Riley) and his work on acoustic theory is up there with the best.

Gordon

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are audiophile mains leads designed? If anything, they are carefully chosen cables available "off the drum" and fitted with good quality connectors.
    Indeed, which is precisely what I've done with my 'French specials'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast