+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puresound A30 what have you upgraded to?

I'm Bernie.

Default Puresound A30 what have you upgraded to?

Hi all, I'm interested in knowing if you used to have a Puresound A30 what did you upgrade to.
    Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to upgrade from my one, don't get me wrong, it sounds brilliant in my system, but it's that time again....
    I quite fancy the looks and simplicity of the Almarro, or maybe a Mastersound, but what I don't want is to move on an amp which has been really reliable (I play it all day every day) for something which would be a backward step, so the floor is now yours!
    Bernie

I'm Dave.

I have sold quite a few Puresound A30 amplifiers and can confirm that they are very good and reliable, plus the distributor is super efficient if things ever go wrong. You need to bear that in mind if you change, as backup for a valve amp is very important. I have no idea about the amps you mention as distribution in the UK is pretty well non existent.

I'm Josie.

I had mine upgraded first to use KT120's with stonking results. Previous to that is was converted purely to serve as a power amp.

The A30 is a lovely thing, it just needs refining with a better PSU for starters. Border Patrol do one which is supposed to be very good.

I had mine re-worked with Anthony of Tube Distinctions and it was simply stunning. He made the PSU external and the iron was huge, it also used two chokes.

I sold that to Neil (Volante) and I upgraded to a Copper Amp.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Neil.

Really need to know what speakers you have, what sources and cabling. How big is the room, do you have carpet, is the room well damped - book cases, drapes, curtains etc or echo prone.
    Regards Neil

I'm Bernie.

Sorry Black Adder, been away to the land where the internet doesn't work (Brittany Ferries!),That was very useful to know.

currently, I'm more interested in everyone elses amp upgrades as the price bracket (around 2 - 3K new) is flooded with amps, Icon Audio, Almarro, Prima Luna, etc, and I'm quite keen on an upgrade, but was looking for everyone's thoughts, did you go, for example, another integrated like an EAR or Quad, let me know!

I'm Josie.

Hi Bernie.

Here is a pic of my A30 which was upgraded to the hilt by AnthonyTD.

This is what I went with a Tube Distinctions Copper amp:

For 2-3k you have a very nice choice and you can most definitely better the A30 in stock form.

Thanks
    Josie
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1 View Post
    Sorry Black Adder, been away to the land where the internet doesn't work (Brittany Ferries!),That was very useful to know.

currently, I'm more interested in everyone elses amp upgrades as the price bracket (around 2 - 3K new) is flooded with amps, Icon Audio, Almarro, Prima Luna, etc, and I'm quite keen on an upgrade, but was looking for everyone's thoughts, did you go, for example, another integrated like an EAR or Quad, let me know!
    With that kind of budget, I'd be having a word with Nick (Lurcher) of Longdog Audio to have a bespoke amp built.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie1 View Post

Bernie with respect others amp choices are based on their systems, rooms, music and without sharing your set up none of us can offer any advice, what we did do didn't do is useless without context and the context of your set up is missing. You also should do some listening too, in your set up, how an amp works in a system or doesn't is not really something that can be guessed at, my experience.
    Regards Neil

I'm Bernie.

Hi Neil, I'll post some pics tomorrow
    Regards Bernie

I'm Bernie.

Hi Josie,
    Thanks for all the info, your modded A30 looks the business, great pics btw!
    Thanks,
    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast