+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Hi-Fi?

I'm joe.

Default Why Hi-Fi?

This question was raised by Marco in our discussion yesterday evening about the importance of speakers vs electronics. I didn't comment on it specifically at the time, but here's some thoughts about why we bother with hi-fi.

I think there's two sets of factors at work here; one sonic, the other not. The two are, IMO, inextricably linked.

The not-sonic factors first. We're almost exclusively blokes, so we like 'things'; some of like to take them apart and use a soldering iron on them, others just like reading spec sheets and watching the LEDs. This aspect of hifi is related to train-spotting, cameras, all sorts of 'collecting' hobbies, and DIY done from wish rather than poverty or necessity.

Now the sonic factors. As I said, I think all the talk of 'emotion' and 'musicality' is beside the point; both can be had from very basic musical reproduction devices, and many music lovers have very lo-fi systems.

The analogy I'd use is films. Many films 'work' on a small screen, and if a film is badly acted and/or poorly directed or scripted, it won't be any better on a big screen, though the visual and sonic impact might distract from the weaknesses.

In the same way, good music will shine through the medium; poor music won't be any better via hi-fi, but listening out for tiny details in the recording might hold the listener's attention for a while. However, just as some films come to life on a big screen, some music (eg opera, large-scale orchestral pieces) do really benefit from a more 'spacious' acoustic.

I'm Martin.

I'd disagree.

Some music lovers use lo-fi systems and they still enjoy music - true.

But to take your film analogy:

I was happy with my 28'' Phillips widescreen CRT television for years - and I watch a lot of films. A friend bought a 50'' £5K Pioneer Plasma and I went around and watched a couple of films with him. That was it. Once 'exposed' to the larger screen I could not go back to what was now a 'tiny' screen and enjoy my films anything like as much. So I got a bigger screen.

If someone really loves and enjoys music (even though they listen lo-fi) and they are then 'exposed' to better quality - then they will seek it out to the extent of their budget. If they don't then I suggest that they do not appreciate music as much as they claim to.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Can't disagree with the geek aspect, just look at how many hifi forums have a photography bit, likely the most geeky pastime of all! lol.

I can see what you are saying about the music aspect, but I need to think about it...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd disagree.

Some music lovers use lo-fi systems and they still enjoy music - true.

But to take your film analogy:

I was happy with my 28'' Phillips widescreen CRT television for years - and I watch a lot of films. A friend bought a 50'' £5K Pioneer Plasma and I went around and watched a couple of films with him. That was it. Once 'exposed' to the larger screen I could not go back to what was now a 'tiny' screen and enjoy my films anything like as much. So I got a bigger screen.

If someone really loves and enjoys music (even though they listen lo-fi) and they are then 'exposed' to better quality - then they will seek it out to the extent of their budget. If they don't then I suggest that they do not appreciate music as much as they claim to.
    I can happily watch my favourite films on anything from a full-size cinema screen to a portable TV. Perhaps I focus more on dialogue and less on the visuals.

With music, I think music experts (and particularly musicians) need less 'help' in listening to music; they can hear what's going on even from a low-quality system, whereas the ignorant & tone-deaf amongst us (eg me) benefit from the clearer 'window' into the music provided by hifi. But I can still enjoy music on the Sony micro system in the kitchen, or on my MP3 player.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I can happily watch my favourite films on anything from a full-size cinema screen to a portable TV. Perhaps I focus more on dialogue and less on the visuals.

With music, I think music experts (and particularly musicians) need less 'help' in listening to music; they can hear what's going on even from a low-quality system, whereas the ignorant & tone-deaf amongst us (eg me) benefit from the clearer 'window' into the music provided by hifi. But I can still enjoy music on the Sony micro system in the kitchen, or on my MP3 player.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased.
    But which set up do you prefer to listen to/view?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

The added musicality and emotional impact enjoyed through good hi-fi over the transistor radio/MP3 player is derived from its greater dynamic capability - i.e. greater ability to reproduce loud versus soft. On a favourite pop song the chorus should overwhelm because it comes across louder. On an MP3 player this simply does not happen - it is too dynamically compressed. I suggest that with the more compressed media the imagination is simply filling in the gaps. Live music is dynamic. Rythms are portrayed not just in terms of temporal patterns but also through varying intensity in striking notes or percussion instruments. Dynamic capability also gives us insight into vocal inflection as well as texture, harmonic structure and telling the full story of a note's envelope from leading edge through to decay.

Such dynamic prowess is achieved through choosing top-notch electronics from source components and amplifiers, preferably active pre and power. Attention should be paid to power supplies at every stage.

Passive components like cables and interconnects should not be used as tone controls masking unpleasant noises along the way. They should add as little if their own character as is possible and remove as little information from source.

Speakers are also passive components and the same rules apply.

Supports should play the role of affording unwanted vibration the fastest route to ground. They are not there just to look pretty. Anything that stores unwanted energy kills dynamics by causing causes time smear, i.e. the blurring of leading edges and glossing over subtle tming cues that put that extra smile on your face as a listener.

A well setup system will sound musically satisfying, i.e. dynamic with quite modest speakers. The very best speakers reveal everything coherently, warts and all and as such should only be added to a system once everything else has been sorted.

Do not shoot the messenger - we don't listen to speakers, we listen through them.

Good musicians are more able mentally to fill in the gaps. This is an active process and quite a fatiguing one over time. I can enjoy the odd song on the radio but I cannot listen to lo-fi for extended periods. In the car while working my radio is silent.

I'm Mark.

I have never really bought into this idea of "mentally filling in the gaps" if it was true
    then how could you ever listen to two different versions or interpretations of a song
    if your mind was constantly adding/subtracting to create it's own ideal version.

...because the human mind is a powerful tool. The additions/subtractions are subtle and probably unconscious to a degree but they take their toll over longer-term listening.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Good musicians are more able mentally to fill in the gaps. This is an active process and quite a fatiguing one over time. I can enjoy the odd song on the radio but I cannot listen to lo-fi for extended periods. In the car while working my radio is silent.
    Ah, that's where we differ. Though I prefer to listen via hifi, I can listen to lofi too. Paradoxically, if working I prefer lofi, because it's easier to ignore.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I find I can listen to old favourite tracks on practically anything, even the squeakers on this laptop, but hearing a good full range system once again as I did yesterday (I feel a new thread coming on ) reminds me just how much easier it is to relax into the music - and those big Harbeths (and their new babies too) do a wonderful job of stopping you listening to the gear and just getting into the music being played - lovely
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast