+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget DACs

I'm Chris.

Default Budget DACs

Hi Guys ,

Looking for a good DAC up to £200 to use in my small computer room system running off an Apple iMac. Just wondered what experience/recommendations you might have? Above all I am looking for clarity, detail and dynamics.

cheers

Chris

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm123 View Post
    Hi Guys ,

Looking for a good DAC up to £200 to use in my small computer room system running off an Apple iMac. Just wondered what experience/recommendations you might have? Above all I am looking for clarity, detail and dynamics.

cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris, how do you want to listen, via headphones or speakers, or both?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Chris.

Hi Will,

It is for a desktop system with speakers (I dont like headphones) in a near field environment.

all the best

Chris

I'm Will.

Hi Will,

It is for a desktop system with speakers (I dont like headphones) in a near field environment.

all the best

Chris
    Beresford do some very nice VFM DACs, I have a Caiman II on a secondary system which is excellent...

I was then about to say it's a bit above your price bracket and suggest its little brother the Bushmaster II

However it looks like Stan's slashed his prices the Caiman II is only £166...

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/cartlist.html?cat=10

I paid £265!!! However it's still excellent VFM

I presume you could use either Mac's digital out, or USB...although I'll leave other Mac users to advise the best connection method...
    Cheers, Will

I'm andrew.

I presume you could use either Mac's digital out, or USB...although I'll leave other Mac users to advise the best connection method..
    It depends on how good the usb input on the dac is, if it's a isolated/async type I would go with usb if not then stick with the Macs digi out.
    Andy.

I'm Chris.

Thanks guys really helpful. I will have to research the iMacs digital output some more.

Chris

I'm andrew.

It's the headphone socket which doubles up as digi out, you will need a mini toslink to toslink optical cable.
    Such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Stand.../dp/B003NT7C2E
    Thanks guys really helpful. I will have to research the iMacs digital output some more.

Chris
    Andy.

I'm Will.

Chris
    ...worth checking out the Beresford Banter sticky, there'll be some Mac users on there...
    Cheers, Will

I'm inactive.

I use an Audiolab Q-Dac with my Mac-Mini with great results. Bought when the price was reduced to £200 a short while back but unfortunately it seems to have gone back up again

Best results I've found are either via toslink from the digital out or USB (both I find about equal but my Q-Dac offers asynch USB - not sure about the Beresford if you go for that option.

I use Fisual optical cables for best results at a very good price, either their Pearl or Hollywood model depending what length you want; the Pearl can be had with 'built in' adapter for the Mac which makes it an even cheaper bet

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Best results I've found are either via toslink from the digital out or USB (both I find about equal but my Q-Dac offers asynch USB - not sure about the Beresford if you go for that option.
    Hi Mike, there's no mention of asynchronous with respect to the USB link, I use mine via the optical link (Belkin AV Pure) to very good effect, however there is a reference to an asynchronous SPDIF implementation;

"Asynchronous SPDIF to I2S signal transferIn order to correct timing and data speed transfer errors the TC-7534 uses a asynchronous buffer with a length of 1024 bits to take care of time period related errors."

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/7534f.htm

Presumably someone using one via USB, I'd be interested in their thoughts...
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast